Making a Shopsmith Mark V Homemade Metal Lathe

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GentlemanAdventurer
Silver Member

Re: Making a Shopsmith Mark V Homemade Metal Lathe

Post by GentlemanAdventurer »

backhertz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 pm Visited Bill a number of times years ago. Every time I visited, he taught me things he came up with over the years to improve the Shopsmith.

First lesson was taking the headstock motor apart & pulling out the start winding leads to connect to a DTDP switch. The switch allowed reverse, as well as forwarded operation. Went ahead & modified about a dozen motors for him.

That’s one example of many. Before I left the first time he surprised me by giving me the carriage sled shown in the thread he posted.

RIP Bill
OK Backhertz spill the beans.
I searched the forums and this is the only reference I find to rewiring a shopsmith to run in reverse. (powerpro excepted of course)
So a couple questions. Is this mod for a Mark V or 10ER?
If it's for a Mark V, are there any limitations to the drive? (threaded accessories might have some of course)
Any pictures or diagrams?

Thanks in advance
Keith
Death before Decaf!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A potential problem is that gaining access to the internal splices to separate the start winding wires may be impossible. That IS the case with the current Emerson motor. Will try to locate pertinent thread for other motors.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 am A potential problem is that gaining access to the internal splices to separate the start winding wires may be impossible. That IS the case with the current Emerson motor. An unusual example = viewtopic.php?t=14341
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange