Mark VII (original) information

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII (original) information

Post by everettdavis »

Check in with Skip Campbell over at http://mkctools.com/

He did this sort of thing for the 10ER and may well have a method that will suit your application. I've never asked him about one, but sounds like the time is ripe as it would potentially solve a problem for you and many others.

JPG built the hybrid Beast that used an upper Mark V headstock and a lower Mark VII motor etc. so there are some adaptations out there.

I was just wondering if a PowerPro upgrade could be adapted for it without a lot of modifications.

When you consider the PowerPro, and compare it to the Beast JPG made, it does make you wonder what it would take.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Might check out Shopsmith's OEM for the DVR motor directly as well.

See:
Teknatool DVR in Shopsmith.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 1036 times
Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The shaft does not move. The control sheave moves along the shaft. The plastic(nylon?) cam is the failing part. Anything that positions the control sheave along the shaft will work. That is also how a Mark 5/V works(quadrant gear).

What parts are you in need of? (why do you perceive a need to 'redesign'?)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
1sgRandolph
Bronze Member

Post by 1sgRandolph »

Hello, I read with interest your comments regarding the Mark VII. Specifically, you know how you wrote "frankly I would not advise
someone without good mechanical skills to run out and buy one as their only SS.". Hmmm, I just did and I don't have good mechanical skills. I don't even have "good" woodworking skills. lol. Why did I just purchase a Shopsmith Mark VII, you may ask? Well, way back in 1994 I saw a demonstration at my local mall and was amazed at what could be done with one machine. I very nearly bought it, but in the end, reality took hold, and I just couldn't afford it. I'm not a great woodworker, but I love the idea of woodworking. So now, 27 years later, I'm retired and saw a used Shopsmith for sale for yes, $150.00. And I still love the idea of woodworking. I called the guy, just 20 miles up the road, and found out his father had bought it new for him in 1964. He had pushed it to the back of his shop about 25 years ago and hadn't used it since. (he's a mechanic, not a wood worker) So, I came home and started researching the Mark VII and found out that it is being "badmouthed" and am wondering if this tool got pushed to the back of the shop because it quit working. We'll see. I've got to clean it up some, replace the plug (the ground post had been removed) we'll go from there.

Of more concern to me are the specifics of replacing the headstock with the Mark V headstock. Should the entire Headstock/Motor and Case be replaced, or should I just replace the headstock?

Also, are the rest of the parts and accessories compatible with today's Shopsmith tools?

So, I also realize now that this is a post from 2012. lol - (I was in Afghanistan when you posted this answer - still a few years from retirement) I'm hoping you are still online. If not, maybe someone else will read it and provide some insight. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

At this point thee are all in!!!!

You need to first determine the condition of the speed control cam. It is accessed by prying the shopsmith medallion off the back side of the headstock.(below the quill feed stop).

Next is the condition of the nylon gear rack on the back side of the front way tube.

Do that before attempting to turn it on(power up).

Pictures will help us advise further action.

As for attachments, SPT's etc. they are all compatible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange