Mark VII (original) information

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Mark VII (original) information

Post by robinson46176 »

OK, maybe I am obsessed with the old Mark VII. :)
It's just its turn. I did a little table shuffling this morning and took a couple of pictures of it.
If I can remember I might try to shift some other Mark VII info to this thread so It will come up together in a search.
I know that a lot of folks shy away from the Mark VII due to the cam problem and the rack gear problem. The rack in my mind is a non-problem. It doesn't exist at all on any other Shopsmith. If you have a damaged gear rack on a Mark VII lust break the rest of it off, yank out the rivets and get on with life. It will function just like any other Shopsmith.
The cam problem is a bigger one but can be overcome or avoided. If you buy a Mark VII with a bad cam you either have to buy a used one, have one made or change the way the speed control works. To avoid the problem keep the little bearing that fails lubed "regularly"...
Most will not even look at a Mark VII because of these 2 problems and frankly I would not advise someone without good mechanical skills to run out and buy one as their only SS.
Since they have been so badly put down by so many as worthless (unfairly) on-line they tend to sell quite cheaply. There are several reasons (including a cheap price) to buy one to add to your shop. Much of that is cross compatibility. Some of the arguments I have read against them only show the ignorance (lack of knowledge, not a put down) about the item they are bad-mouthing. We have all seen that on-line regarding our beloved Shopsmiths in general. :rolleyes:
OK, you are using a regular Mark V but are wishing for more table space and considering an expensive table upgrade. Then you find a Mark VII for sale for maybe $150. Maybe it runs, maybe not. From here there are several options.
1. Buy the Mark VII and use it if you like it or fix it if need be.
2. Buy the Mark VII and in a few minutes remove its headstock (and the rack gear) and slip you Mark V headstock on in its place and start using it and enjoy the larger table system. Some would respond that you then don't have the reversing motor or the rack headstock moving system. OK, so what? Did you have it on your Mark V? Would you have them if you bought an expensive 520 upgrade?
3. Another option is to pull the Mark V small table off and install the larger Mark VII table system on your Mark V. The carriage will slip right on your Mark V. Is this now a 520 table setup? Of course not... But it does give a big table increase for a very small price. I look at it as an "in between" step. You will not get a 520 table system without spending some very serious money. You will not even get to a 510 table system without spending a lot more. This is just another option.
Again, not for everybody but I believe useful to think about.
Here is a little info:
Regular Mark V (500) table size is 14"x18.25"
Mark V 510 table size is 17.5"x22"
Mark VII table size is 14"x 21" but with the Mark VII extension that will mount at either end or mount to the side of the main table you can have it pulled out to 27" wide that moves with the main table.
Just something to think about if you see one going cheap.

Here are the pics I took this morning of a couple of table configurations.
I happen to have an extra Mark VII "L" shaped extension table. Here the Mark VII fence is on the end mounted extension. A wide 500 extension is mounted on the left end and a 500 fence will of course fit it if wanted. The Mark VII table mounted extension is pulled out to the maximum 27" total width.
[ATTACH]16073[/ATTACH]

Here my 510 wide extension is mounted on the left along with the 510 fence.
[ATTACH]16074[/ATTACH]

Here the 510 extension and fence are on the right and the Mark VII extension is on the left. Just some possibilities.
[ATTACH]16075[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Mark VII tables 1.JPG
Mark VII tables 1.JPG (78.72 KiB) Viewed 13519 times
Mark VII tables 2.JPG
Mark VII tables 2.JPG (74.52 KiB) Viewed 13518 times
Mark VII tables 3.JPG
Mark VII tables 3.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 13501 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

What is the purpose of the table having the L shape to it?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

heathicus wrote:What is the purpose of the table having the L shape to it?

So that you can use it either into the side of the main table or in the regular end sockets. By being an "L" it does not have to have moving parts to do that.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Ah, I see, said the blind man!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Just putting some links to the old Mark VII related threads on this thread so it will come up together on a search.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9301

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9547&highlight=Mark+VII

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

I love the Mark VII. It's my favorite. Wish I could find a couple more. Im having some Cams made out of Aluminum so hopfully that issue will be a thing of the past. I will know in a couple weeks.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Mark VII blade guard?

Post by robinson46176 »

Has anyone ever seen a real live genuine Mark VII blade guard? I don't have one and I started looking for a picture of one. I did the Google image bit then I dug out my Mark VII manuals. I have Mark VII manuals for two different versions (smallish differences) and a Mark VII parts manual and a Mark VII sales brochure. I finally found a sort of decent picture of one in one manual with a mention that the guards were optional. As I search the net and poured over the books I never once saw a Mark VII pictured with a blade guard installed, just lots of pictures of shiny bare blades under those tables. :eek:
I don't care about an upper guard since this will not be used for sawing as such. This Mark VII is currently planned to be a semi-dedicated dado machine. I do however want a lower guard to enclose the cutter for safety and for dust collection. A dado cutter can kick up a good amount of fine dust. Looking at the picture it appears that the lower guard was made with an outlet that matches the dia. of the ports on the built in dust collector blower on the Mark VII. That would be logical, as Mr. Spock would say. :)
I have a half dozen lower guards from SS's that I do not saw with and I need to check them all out tonight and see which would work best. I had a metal one on it this morning that "would" work if I cannot find a better shaped one. One plastic one I have has a surprisingly small outlet on it. I do think that I want one that will adjust in width. There seems to be plenty of room under there for about anything I want.
As always I don't much give a rats er, uh, tail, yes, that's it, tail; about the coarser chips/shavings/dust but I do want to control all of the fine airborne dust I can.

I just wondered if anybody has ever seen and touched one of these guards? :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

I have one of the original Mark VII lower guards (not for sale tho). I will try to post pics soon. I also have the upper guard also but I think that was used on other SS. Looks the same as the one in the accessory catalog.
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

It has a 2 1/4" id port.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have seen information that the metal guard on the shopsmith 500 is the same. I have no way of verifying this. I still have the one that came with my 1976 machine somewhere, so I could dig around and see if I can find it for pictures if that would help. I might have a part list with numbers, I'd have to dig for that as well.

Ed