Mark VII (original) information

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My 1963 Goldie did not come with blade guards, nor do I believe did the MVII, but they were an 'extra' option. None of the sales literature from that time frame shows guards.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

In the Modern Power Tool Woodworking book by DeCrostoforo, there is a picture on page 12 of a Mark VII with a lower blade guard with an hose connected between the guard and the vacuum. The picture is of such poor quality that you can't even determine it's shape. The vacuum port is in the back of the guard in a position similar to that of the metal model 500 guard. But you really can't tell much beyond that from my copy of the book.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi

Shopsmith Mark V owner manual (6/76) lower guard 505628, upper 505627.

And then, mystery solved.

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

No wonder I saved this paper.

Ed
Attachments
Scan20198.pdf
(590.81 KiB) Downloaded 1238 times
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

So can one deduce from this that the larger 510 table upgrade from the mid eighties was not a fresh virgin idea, but really a regurgitation of an older idea (with some obvious upgrades)?
how interesting.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

reible wrote:Hi

Shopsmith Mark V owner manual (6/76) lower guard 505628, upper 505627.

And then, mystery solved.

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

No wonder I saved this paper.

Ed

Thanks Ed. That is exactly the guard I had on there yesterday morning. I have no idea which SS it came with but I need to look in my SS "stash" and see if I have any more like that one. I kind of like the large outlet straight out the back.
I was surprised to read on your sheet about leaving the cover screws a little loose so that you can open and close the cover without changing the screws. I usually just think of keeping screws tight... :) That might call for doing something to cause a little drag on the screw threads to prevent them from backing out from vibration? Maybe a wrap or 2 of Teflon plumbers tape.

I was a little surprised to see that a plastic one I have (again I have no idea of its origin) has an outlet that is quite small. Small as in down around an inch or just over. I need to measure it. I have another shaped much the same but it has a larger outlet that comes out the side and the little rear outlet is blocked off with what appears to be a plastic "slug".

I find all of these details interesting.
Thanks again.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

wiredone wrote:So can one deduce from this that the larger 510 table upgrade from the mid eighties was not a fresh virgin idea, but really a regurgitation of an older idea (with some obvious upgrades)?
how interesting.

That's right... The Mark VII was supposedly a higher priced, more featured deluxe model that was to be a big step up. I have no recollection of whether or not they were still selling Mark V's while selling the Mark-VII or not. Someone else probably knows. At that point the company went out of business before they could resolve the Mark VII's few problems. I just hope this is not the road of the PowerPro.
I also do not know the details of why they went out of business. Some blame the Mark VII but I suspect that there were many reasons as there often are when a company fails.
According to the story Mr. Folkerth was looking for parts for his Mark V when he found that he could buy the company. Maybe if he had owned a Mark VII it would have been the one he brought back. :)
He started it back up on a shoestring budget and there were probably a lot of painful decisions involved... Cost was probably the final decision maker in most cases.

The Mark VII table system would have made a nice option for the newly resurrected Mark V and would have made it pretty much as useful as the 510.

I have no idea of exactly how many changes were made to the Mark VII during its production. I know of 2 from looking at the ones I have. One was the addition of a small lever on the left end of the belt cover that released the gear on the headstock moving crank so you could slide the headstock a longer distance without having to crank it along. The other obvious change was that one of mine has a crank like cam lock on the carriage for raising and lowering the main table and the other one I am using (which also has the rack gear release) has a small hand wheel with a winged tightening device in the center of it. I suspect that the flip over crank handle cam lock may have been more prone to slip and let the table down in use. I do not know that for sure. What a shame that they didn't jump on that speed control plastic cam problem right away...
The plastic rack gear probably was not much of a problem until age made them more brittle. It also didn't really cripple the unit for daily use.

I mentioned that the one I am using has the crank release lever on the end of the belt cover but it actually does not. It obviously did have it at one time but a PO has removed it for some reason but the hole is still there. Maybe someday I will buy another that has it.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

robinson46176 wrote:According to the story Mr. Folkerth was looking for parts for his Mark V when he found that he could buy the company.
I was fairly certain it was parts for the "Sawsmith" Radial Arm Saw that he was looking for...

Although I can understand the reasoning, I think it's a real shame they didn't (or weren't able to) bring that RAS back to market.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

heathicus wrote:Although I can understand the reasoning, I think it's a real shame they didn't (or weren't able to) bring that RAS back to market.
I Agree. Tho I wish they made more replacement parts for it. He knew what it was like to look for parts for the ras lol.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

hdoilcan wrote:I Agree. Tho I wish they made more replacement parts for it. He knew what it was like to look for parts for the ras lol.
He bought a ras at a yard sale without a blade thinking getting one would be easy. He found out there were none to be had. He approached Magna American about manufacturing and selling blades. They offered him the whole kit and kaboodle!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Geoff
Bronze Member

Re: Mark VII (original) information

Post by Geoff »

Hi Iam in Australia. Not too many Shopsmiths here. however I recently acquired a Mark vii. fairly worn in some parts but I will deal with that. What I would like to do is find some other way to vary the pulley shaft
(idler arm) in and out. It seems that it has been a problem in most Shopsmiths. the matter of knowing what speed you have could be resolved with electronic meter. Does anyone have any ideas. Thank you.