I am the proud owner of?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

warningintruder
Gold Member

I am the proud owner of?

Post by warningintruder »

Well let me first say hello to you all.This all started a year ago when my father in law became ill he called me up and said he wanted me to have his SS he bought and was upgrading so I drove the 600 miles and picked it up.It has been sitting in my shop since then until three days ago when I set it up.Here is my question
what do I have? I have two owners manuals a 510 and 520 also the paper work
for what he purchased its says retro upgrade kit 500 to 520 and floating ext table kit and a TBL & PRO fence retrofit mkv500.I did all the alignment and fired her up and she runs!The only problem I can see is its easy to increase the speed but a little stiff to decrease, so what do I call her?
dusty
Platinum Member

You are the proud owner

Post by dusty »

of a Shopsmith Mark V. What version of the Mark V seems to be a bit in question. It sounds like you probably have a 500 that has been upgraded to a 520. You are rightly a proud owner.

If you would take and post a couple photographs and give us the serial number of your Shopsmith the prognosis would be much more reliable.

I'm going to point to at a couple sources of info that will help you determine for yourself.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/markv.htm

If you have a 500 or a 510 built before 1988, the serial number will be on the above chart. If the serial; number doesn't show here - you have a 510 and the serial number is the date code. You'll then know when it was manufactured.

Another date/serial number chart: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

This reference will provide you a visual of what I believe you have - you decide: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/505to520.htm

The speed control sounds to me to be a bit too stiff. Some more cleaning and lubricating may be in order.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ed+control

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... enance.htm

Welcome to the forum.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
warningintruder
Gold Member

Thank You for your reply Dusty here is the serial number 145512 and a couple of pictures too.

jbemis
Silver Member

Very nice SS!

Post by jbemis »

:D I am jealous, wished mine looked that nice.
old hardware, new user
SS3218, just rebuilding the table
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

You now have a 520, if you actually have every feature of a new 520 is still hard to tell. The serial number would help as would a look at the switch.

What are the differences that mater:
3/4 HP motor vs. 1 1/8 (I am guessing you have 1 1/8 just based on the condition)
Two bearing Quill, impossible to tell without either serial number or looking at it. Nick has a video if you want to find out.
I can't think of other differences, and when you need to the quill is an easy upgrade if you don't have it.

It is in beautiful enjoy.

PS I would also check to make sure the extension cord (pictured) can handle the current the machine draws. Lots of debate here about starving the machine with small extension cords.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

What are the differences that mater:
3/4 HP motor vs. 1 1/8 (I am guessing you have 1 1/8 just based on the condition)
The last 3/4 hp motors came on the early tan/gold 'Anniversary' models, back when JFK was President. All gray Mk V's have the 1-1/8.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

solicitr wrote:The last 3/4 hp motors came on the early tan/gold 'Anniversary' models, back when JFK was President. All gray Mk V's have the 1-1/8.
I see a lot of discussions on various about the 3/4 HP Shopsmith motor being underpowered, I had no idea they were talking about machine that old.

So I guess on the gray Mk V's the only issue is the two bearing Quill and I have no idea when they started, I know my 1982 machine had one bearing. Or at least I paid someone to upgrade it.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

I am the proud owner of?

Post by dusty »

Yes, warningintruder, you do have a 520 and a nice one at that. Based on your serial number, 145512, I believe your machine was manufactured in the 1984-1985 time frame.

The rough-gray texture was first applied in October 1984. I can't tell from the picture whether it is rough or smooth.

The motor used at that time was the 1 1/8 hp and the quill is most likely a one-bearing quill. The two-bearing quill was first used in serial number 190000.

Unless you have excessive run-out or you plan to do a lot of heavy turning, I wouldn't worry about the quill at this time. If it is working for you, leave it as is. Watch the sales and when a deal comes along - buy the two bearing quill and have it on hand. The quill is easy to change out. If you have one on hand when you need it, it involves about 10 minutes of down time. Check the Sawdust Session archives.

You have already been advised to scrap that extension cord and I whole heartedly agree. At least make certain that the extension cord is in excellent condition and it is at least 14ga (12ga would be better) and no longer than about five feet. It is an easy task and well worth it.

Don't discard that extra main table. You'll find good use for it. It looks like a 510 table. Do you know of its origin?

Congratulations on a beautiful machine. BE SAFE.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
warningintruder
Gold Member

Thank You

First I want to thank you all for your help.Yesterday I wired a 20 amp dedicated circuit and also went into work and made a eight foot 12 gauge extension cord.I called my father inlaw last night and he told me he purchaced it for $500.00 from the original owner who had it and that he used it very little,I have all the original parts from the upgrade and will keep them all.This weekend I will tackle the stiff speed control problem,And yes I am a very proud owner of a ShopSmith 520 :) and again thank you for your help.

P.S. What is it with the ShopSmith web site? They seem to run you in circles!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

warningintruder wrote: P.S. What is it with the ShopSmith web site? They seem to run you in circles!
yeah, it can get a bit confusing but hang in there. Get to know the website and you'll find that it is very useful and just jam packed with good information. If that is not enough, fill in the blanks by asking more questions here.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty