Wixey Angle Gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

I fear you may be putting in a lot of effort for something that is not going to be fixed. I also fear the level maybe misleading you.

I don't know how much experence you have had with say building a block wall. The blocks don't have to be level but the wall does. Every couple of rows you check again for level and adjust and in the end everything is fine. If how ever someone were to use a level between each block and build the wall it will not come out level.

I don't know if that makes since to you but you are establishing little "couple of inch levels" or lines but you have no way of knowing if they are all on the same line. Some could be higher, some could be lower, some could be on the same line but you have no way of knowing. To do what you are trying to do you need to establish a line and then measure from that. Does that make any sence??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Gauge

Post by dusty »

Yes, ed, I do understand what you are saying. I have laid brick and if you lay brick to a level line and not JUST to a level you get a good wall. Don't let it lean either.

In the case of the Shopsmith, I believe that straight, level line is either the tubes or the top leading edge of the tables (depending of where you are in the alignment process).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
popstoyshop
Gold Member

Wixey vs Beall

Post by popstoyshop »

Hi Folks,

Just a little note of interest. Beall invented the level box however Wixey jumped in and started selling it while Beall's patent was still pending. Beall notified Wixie to cease and desist but Wixie just shot them the international sign of malcontent. NOW the patent is in place and you should see a bright flash followed by smoke over at Wixie.

Pop
One who works with his hands is a laborer.
One who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
One who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist.
dusty
Platinum Member

Wixey Angle Gauge

Post by dusty »

Does the Wixey and the Beall actually serve the same objective?

Are the technologies the same? I don't think so. The Wixey reports a delta from a pre-established reference (called 0 degrees) but could be an obvious incline. It is my understanding that the Beall establishes a real world zero reference (level) and reports delta from that.

There would be no patent infringement if that is true. They are not the same technologies.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote:Does the Wixey and the Beall actually serve the same objective?

Are the technologies the same? I don't think so. The Wixey reports a delta from a pre-established reference (called 0 degrees) but could be an obvious incline. It is my understanding that the Beall establishes a real world zero reference (level) and reports delta from that.

There would be no patent infringement if that is true. They are not the same technologies.
Hi Dusty,

The Beall does both.

From what I read the insides are very different so I don't see any problem there besides the field is opening up and here are a few examples:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95998
http://chinamanufacturers.supplierlist. ... egauge.htm
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dixie_angle_gauge.htm

I have seen at least one more but I forgot where. I bet if you do a search you will find even more.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]