Value of Used Equipment

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

matpoh
Silver Member

Value of Used Equipment

Post by matpoh »

Just looking for a gauge on what the value is of a used SS. I have an opportunity to buy a good condition (1958) model for a trade of $75 worth of tools. Everything works and comes with extra accessories. I'm just not sure if one even that old is still worth it or if I should just step up and pay some extra $$ for a newer unit. Comments welcome.
johnm
Gold Member

Post by johnm »

matpoh wrote:Just looking for a gauge on what the value is of a used SS. I have an opportunity to buy a good condition (1958) model for a trade of $75 worth of tools. Everything works and comes with extra accessories. I'm just not sure if one even that old is still worth it or if I should just step up and pay some extra $$ for a newer unit. Comments welcome.
I'm sure others will chime in, but a good condition 1958 SS for $75 worth of tools is a steal.
John Mallick
Dripping Springs, TX

Beginning Woodworker
Passable Barbecue'er
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

matpoh wrote:Just looking for a gauge on what the value is of a used SS. I have an opportunity to buy a good condition (1958) model for a trade of $75 worth of tools. Everything works and comes with extra accessories. I'm just not sure if one even that old is still worth it or if I should just step up and pay some extra $$ for a newer unit. Comments welcome.
A working 500 is easily worth it, I can't comment on other versions. I personally would not be interested if it is not a 500 because of the lack of upgradability and accessories but this is a personal preference based on what you plan to do with it.

If you have a 500, on some other forum threads you can find history information, that and a serial number should tell you what it would cost to upgrade to a full 520. My guess is it would have a 3/4 HP motor vs 1 1/8 in later 500s. Then there are all these other details about pulleys, belts... that I never paid attention to since I started with a 1982 500.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

There is a 1956 500 with the 3/4 hp motor in my garage that gets used frequenty - not every day, but frequently. Still works good. Sure it would be nice to have a 520, but the cost to upgrade is doing a good job of keeping me quite happy with what is still getting the job done.
Roger
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

alaskanexile wrote:There is a 1956 500 with the 3/4 hp motor in my garage that gets used frequenty - not every day, but frequently. Still works good. Sure it would be nice to have a 520, but the cost to upgrade is doing a good job of keeping me quite happy with what is still getting the job done.
Roger
My point was not to push down ANY 500, just to say that IF he wanted the possibility of upgrading he needs to start with a 500.

10E, 10ER, Mark VII's are not machines personally interesting to me, mostly because I know nothing about them and they predate my birth.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
solicitr
Gold Member

Post by solicitr »

If I were you I'd jump all over it. 75 bucks is less than the shipping on a new one!

(Provided it's a Mark V, not a Mk II or something).
dusty
Platinum Member

Value of Used Equipment

Post by dusty »

You don't really want that.

Instead, I think that you should ship it to me. I'll give you the 75$ and pay normal shipping. Deal???;)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
matpoh
Silver Member

Post by matpoh »

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have to admit I am new to the SS atmosphere and am not sure of the difference between all the different types...500, 510, etc. I tried to attach a pic of the actual item so hope it works. The serial number is 3315xx. I think that would make it a model 500. I am trading a DeWalt 18volt drill, sawsall, light with 2 batteries and charger that I got at a farm auction for $75. The tools may be worth more, but thats what I have in them. The SS is about an hour drive away so pick up should be easy.

[img][IMG]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7201/ss1wq4.jpg[/img][/IMG]
billmayo
Platinum Member

1958 Shopsmith

Post by billmayo »

An excellant buy for a first Shopsmith. Get it now. Once you get the bug real good, you may want to buy a later model Shopsmith and keep this one as a power station for the SPTs like the bandsaw, belt and strip sander, jig and scroll saw. The 3/4 HP motor work real well as power for these SPTs. You can have fun cleaning, painting, restoring and removing the rust from all the parts. You will need the manual for doing alignment and maintenance if one is not included.

You can never own too many Shopsmiths.

Bill Mayo

[quote="matpoh"]Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have to admit I am new to the SS atmosphere and am not sure of the difference between all the different types...500, 510, etc. I tried to attach a pic of the actual item so hope it works. The serial number is 3315xx. I think that would make it a model 500. I am trading a DeWalt 18volt drill, sawsall, light with 2 batteries and charger that I got at a farm auction for $75. The tools may be worth more, but thats what I have in them. The SS is about an hour drive away so pick up should be easy.
matpoh
Silver Member

Post by matpoh »

OK, from the consensus its a buy. He said everything is complete and working and comes with 4-5 boxes of extra equipment. Only thing is he does not have any manuals. Would it be best to buy a set from the factory, or is there a place to download them? Again, thanks for all the replies. I am getting excited about this purchase and lining up projects for around the house.