What No one told me how fun it is toturn wood! Why not!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

What No one told me how fun it is toturn wood! Why not!

Post by Shop_Smith_Poppi »

Why am I just now finding out how much fun this is!

Ok so I started taking a wood turning class three weeks ago. Man I look forward to Tuesday night like it was Christmas now. I have never in my life been more excited about something. Except when my wife said yes 25 years ago! Oh yeah and I suppose you have to count when she gave birth to my four daughters. But nothing else tops this I swear!

I have always wanted to turn wood or even metal for that matter as long as I can remember. But never had the opportunity to do so. Until now that is. All I can say is look out trees a new turning monster is on the loose!

So I been in this class for three weeks now and I have completed three projects one each night. The first was a Bud Vase then a Bowl and finally last Tuesday we did a Saucer.

So here are some pictures and I want you to be honest with me on how I did. No holding back.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/thatdarndawg/Wood%20Turning%20Projects/

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/thatdarndawg/Wood%20Turning%20Projects/Bowls/

"http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/thatdarndawg/Wood%20Turning%20Projects/Bud%20Vases/

"http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/thatdarndawg/Wood%20Turning%20Projects/Saucers/
"Jerry! how many times do I have to tell you! Lick that knife before you put it back in the butter!" ..... Jerry Clower's Mother.
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Im not sure what I am doing wrong here but I cant figure out how to post a picture.
"Jerry! how many times do I have to tell you! Lick that knife before you put it back in the butter!" ..... Jerry Clower's Mother.
athomas01
Gold Member

Post by athomas01 »

Here ya go...

Big Time Rookie!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[attach]14529[/attach]

[attach]14530[/attach]
Attachments
turning class bowl.jpg
turning class bowl.jpg (305.02 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
class turnings.jpg
class turnings.jpg (333.06 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

very nice. don't stop there
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Shop_Smith_Poppi wrote:.....Ok so I started taking a wood turning class three weeks ago. Man I look forward to Tuesday night like it was Christmas now. I have never in my life been more excited about something. Except when my wife said yes 25 years ago! Oh yeah and I suppose you have to count when she gave birth to my four daughters. But nothing else tops this I swear!

... All I can say is look out trees a new turning monster is on the loose!

So I been in this class for three weeks now and I have completed three projects one each night. The first was a Bud Vase then a Bowl and finally last Tuesday we did a Saucer.

So here are some pictures and I want you to be honest with me on how I did. No holding back.

Truth is - There are many of us wishing we could do so good!

Excellent work, Poppi!:D (with the turning -not the picture posting)

Keep on licking those knives!:rolleyes:
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Truth is - There are many of us wishing we could do so good!

Excellent work, Poppi!:D (with the turning -not the picture posting)

Keep on licking those knives!:rolleyes:
You must have an excellent instructor!

Nice work. I agree with Charlese!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Nice job. My first turnings were not that good for sure. One question though, how did you turn the knife?:D
Bill V
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

wa2crk wrote:Nice job. My first turnings were not that good for sure. One question though, how did you turn the knife?:D
Bill V
Well I wanted to put something in the picture for a size reference and that is all I could find.

My Instructor is Haze Copland and he is very good at turning and instructing. last month he won two first place finishes for turning in Beavers Bend & Hochatown State Park The Masters at Work Woodturning Competition & Exhibit.

Which kicks off with a competitive flair as artists from various woodturning clubs compete in a three-day event for the title of "Master" woodturner.Watch and join in as artists turn chunks of wood into beautiful works of art.The exhibit will follow with the winning pieces, as well as turnings from members of the various woodturning clubs.Competition: Sept 9-11, 9am-5pm; Exhibit: Sept 9-Oct 16, Wed-Sat 10am-4pm, Sun 1-4pm.

I tried to find a picture of his turnings but found nothing.
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Oh and by the way thanks for all your comments.