Picket Carolers in Progress - Part 2

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Picket Carolers in Progress - Part 2

Post by john »

Things are moving along though I am about a day behind schedule. I think I will blame that on one of my daughters who invited us to dinner yesterday.:D

The first of the attached pictures shows all the pieces glued on to the stakes that hold them. The big piece at the bottom left is the base that the carolers stand on and the angled piece off to the bottom right is a bracket that is screwed on from behind at head level to add rigidity to the unit.The second is hot off the press as I just finished the primer coat and they are now ready for painting.

I have made my usual errors that arise from lack of concentration. The first occurred when I glued the first part of the caroler in the middle to the stake. After doing so, I settled into the chair to relax and watch a hockey game on tv. The light bulb went on about fifteen minutes later, I uttered an expletive, jumped out of the chair and down to the shop. The postion marked for that piece included the scarf that was not glued on yet so the face assembly was going to be a couple of inches too low. I managed to pry the pieces apart without damage and reposition it.

The second error was to prime over areas that should have been left bare as there were still pieces to be glued on. I left a ring around the face of the caroler on the left off, to make painting the face easier but primed over part of the glue area. Also on the previous project, I left the feet off until all was finished and I had screwed the carolers/stakes to the base.Then I added the feet to hide the screws. I'm still not sure how I will handle this boob.

Note to BPR: I hadn't thought of that angle.:D

Hopefully the next pics will be of the finished product.

Have fun

John
Attachments
DSCN0386.JPG
DSCN0386.JPG (124.65 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
DSCN0387.JPG
DSCN0387.JPG (126.94 KiB) Viewed 4472 times