Shopsmith Oscillating Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

alaskanexile wrote:Reading these posts confirmed for me what I'd already thot. Does it make sense to spend $150 for the S.S. oscillating attachment which seems just a little on the hokie side compared to most S.S. tools, when for just a few $$ more one can pick up Ridgid's stand alone? That is not to suggest I'm anti S.S. If it weren't for the old greenie I inherited I'd be whittling my projects out with a pocket knife. I'd love to have the Ridgid unit, and if not that, then the S.S. add on, but unless the good fairy drops one out of the sky I'll be sticking with the single position S.S. drum.

Ya know that quill normally has a handle. Gee wonder what that is used for.

Do ya think one could guide the workpiece with one hand, and move the handle up/down with the other?

Then one could just move it up/down often and use both hands.

Automated, convenient, sure, but not a 'necessity'.

Maybe ya could get swmbo to operate the handle!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

JPG4054,
You are a genius. Or at least I thought so till I suggested that idea to my wife.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I don't own a drum sander for my Shopsmith but if I did I would be sorely tempted to see if I could rig an old base drum foot pedal and some high test fishing line to the quill feed handle and see if that set up might function as an oscillating spindle sander for next to nothing.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:I don't own a drum sander for my Shopsmith but if I did I would be sorely tempted to see if I could rig an old base drum foot pedal and some high test fishing line to the quill feed handle and see if that set up might function as an oscillating spindle sander for next to nothing.
That will work better than swmbo! It would work a lot quieter also!:rolleyes:

I think making a foot pedal operator from wood is within the expertise range of everyone here!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

[quote="JPG40504"]That will work better than swmbo! It would work a lot quieter also!:rolleyes:

I think making a foot pedal operator from wood is within the expertise range of everyone here!]
Hmmm. When I get back from the in-laws I may have to see if I can build something like that and if it moves the quill I will invest in some drum sanding attachments.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

During the Christmas season present making season I found I was using every means of sanding I could find. Sometimes I became frustrated because I couldn't seem to use just the right means to simplify the task. Thank you for this discussion as I have Shopsmith Oscillating Sander which was purchased prior to our cross country move and never unpacked. Tomorrow however it will be unpacked and made ready for use. My bottom line is that there are never enough options for completing the perfect sanding job. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

FWIW: I bought the Ridgid at the local HD, and asked if there was any discount (2 months ago), and the sales guy (head of the tools department) said, "If you get a HD Visa Card today, I'll knock $40 off the purchase"". Cha-ching - I signed up for the card, save $40 and tore up the card and paid the bill off in the store when it came due. Dave Ramsey would say I played with snakes, but I bit back before it bit me. $40 buys a few really good sanding belts, too.

I don't do credit, and I had the cash in hand that day, so I was good. It's a pretty handy tool, and yes it has a table that adjusts to fixed 45 degrees, and also anywhere in between I believe.

HF had drum sander attachments that fit the drill press for about $25
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-qu ... 35455.html. I have a set and sanded my first Telecaster build with them in a router with a variable speed control. Worked OK, bur no oscillating sander.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I did that to buy a job max for my side job as a independent contractor. The best deal in town as long as you don't use the credit card and get caught in that dept world. I use credit cards but make sure I pay them off when due. If I can't I don't buy. Plain and simple.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:I have really never given this SPT a look but I recently sold my Jet oscillating sander because I just did not like it. I am thinking of buying one if it ever goes on sale. Does anyone here have one and if so how smoothly does it operate? I disliked the jet because it had a good bit of vibration.
Mark,
I'm glad you posted this. I had been considering the Jet as it is about the only sander that will take a 1/4" drum. I have been putting off the purchase as the Jet sander is a bit pricy and I was thinking that I would get more effective use of my tool budget elsewhere. I did consider the Shopsmith attachment but thought it a bit too Rube Goldberg for my taste.

Looks like I will have to make my own small diameter drum (Someone posted such a thing here a while back) and will have to get my wife to act as oscillator. Most of these projects are for her anyway. :D

Thanks for saving me $400.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think this might be the post:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4686

BTW you can chuck these in the shopsmith oscillating sander so they spin while the move up and down, of course the jig saw just has them just going up and down.

Ed
horologist wrote:Mark,
I'm glad you posted this. I had been considering the Jet as it is about the only sander that will take a 1/4" drum. I have been putting off the purchase as the Jet sander is a bit pricy and I was thinking that I would get more effective use of my tool budget elsewhere. I did consider the Shopsmith attachment but thought it a bit too Rube Goldberg for my taste.

Looks like I will have to make my own small diameter drum (Someone posted such a thing here a while back) and will have to get my wife to act as oscillator. Most of these projects are for her anyway. :D

Thanks for saving me $400.

Troy