Shopsmith Oscillating Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

We are almost done here.

Next the lower crank is put on, here it is at 12:00

[ATTACH]15466[/ATTACH]

Now the lower is set at???? come on keep up here, it is 2:00, as shown here

[ATTACH]15467[/ATTACH]

Now you can unlock the quill and adjust the arm position so the cable slips over the pulley as shown here

[ATTACH]15468[/ATTACH]

It is set for longest stroke which is where I leave it but you can play with that if you wish. The unit is now operational. Wasn't so bad was it. It really goes fast and if you are in a hurry I bet it can be done in under 2 minutes.

[ATTACH]15469[/ATTACH]

As a bonus here is how mine is stored, not taking up much room in the shop just like I like it.

[ATTACH]15470[/ATTACH]

I will leave it set up for the night so if you want to see something else let me know, going back to storage tomorrow, but as you know that is only minutes away from being put back on.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_1013sc.jpg
IMG_1013sc.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
IMG_1014sc.jpg
IMG_1014sc.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
IMG_1008sc.jpg
IMG_1008sc.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
IMG_1009sc.jpg
IMG_1009sc.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
IMG_1003sc.jpg
IMG_1003sc.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do I understand correctly that you need to change the headstock hub? Seems strange!
One more thing left out of the marketing blurb.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG40504 wrote:Do I understand correctly that you need to change the headstock hub? Seems strange!
One more thing left out of the marketing blurb.
They also left out the part about not being a klutz and dropping the other hub down back in to the black hole of your shop... well something to do tomorrow, look for hub that has dropped out of sight.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:They also left out the part about not being a klutz and dropping the other hub down back in to the black hole of your shop... well something to do tomorrow, look for hub that has dropped out of sight.

Ed

I imagine it rolled purty gud!:eek::D

That 'dropsy' gets worse! I dropped a digital caliper which landed on the concrete floor inside fingers tips first last night! @#$%*!^&
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Thanks Ed, Jim and Red aka jpg. It does not look that intimidating to me. I used the drum sander a great deal yesterday. I really like using the 520 for that operation over the Jet sander that I sold earlier in the year. I can set both the table height and the speed to my liking. I have used one of the Ridgid table top sanders and they are ok but I just like something a little more solid and the larger table of the 520. I think the osculation SPT will be a good investment for me.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Thanks Ed, Jim and Red aka jpg. It does not look that intimidating to me. I used the drum sander a great deal yesterday. I really like using the 520 for that operation over the Jet sander that I sold earlier in the year. I can set both the table height and the speed to my liking. I have used one of the Ridgid table top sanders and they are ok but I just like something a little more solid and the larger table of the 520. I think the osculation SPT will be a good investment for me.
When you order it, and if Dave is the CS rep, ask him how to install it?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

JPG40504 wrote:When you order it, and if Dave is the CS rep, ask him how to install it?:D

Yeah just don't growl at him, you may hurt his feelings. That would be a shame.

I need to once again add a big Thank You to all who assisted me in sorting this issue out and add that, once again knowledge gained here surpasses any other known source for Shopsmith know how.:D:):rolleyes: Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

reible wrote:I think this might be the post:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4686

BTW you can chuck these in the shopsmith oscillating sander so they spin while the move up and down, of course the jig saw just has them just going up and down.

Ed

Nope, that's not the one.
However, it is even better than the post I was thinking of.
Can't believe I forgot this one. It looks like neither of the two retailers mentioned on the Jim Dandy web page still carry the mini sanding arbors so I will contact them directly.
Thanks for the link.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:Nope, that's not the one.
However, it is even better than the post I was thinking of.
Can't believe I forgot this one. It looks like neither of the two retailers mentioned on the Jim Dandy web page still carry the mini sanding arbors so I will contact them directly.
Thanks for the link.

Troy

About half way down.
http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

apexsunguitars
Gold Member

Post by apexsunguitars »

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the manual / instructions? The pics in this thread help a lot but I like to have the paper too. I bought a new one sans instructions a week before they went on sale direct from SS. I still saved 15 bucks but I would have liked to support the company when its affordable.

edit: n/m customer service sent me a 6 page instruction booklet so they saved the day!
1991 Mark V / 510 with ODS Kit
1983 Mark V / 500 Series w/ 11" bandsaw, 20" Scrollsaw (Currently tearing the SS down for a complete and thorough cleaning and tuning)
1956 Mark V / 500 PartsSmith (DOA) w/ Magna Jointer and Bandsaw