Frontier Log Jigs

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Frontier Log Jigs

Post by tdubnik »

When I made the Frontier Logsfor my grandson, my goal was to use a lot of small and narrow wood that had accumulated from various projects. Most of these were to small to use on any major projects and to good to just throw away. Since many of these pieces were narrow I really didn't have the option of cutting the dados first. I wanted to make the logs safely and minimize the risk of injury to myself so I devised a couple of jigs.

The log plans are the Shopsmith ones found here.

[ATTACH]15574[/ATTACH]

The base of the jig is 1/2" plywood and the cross pieces are 3/4" MDF. You will notice that there are two channels in the jig. These are sized to hold the 3/4" x 3/4" logs without any slop. I also used to runners on the bottom of the jig that fit the Shopsmith table. The Shopsmith is set up with a 3/4" dado stack and the height is set to 3/16" above the plywood base. On the first pass over the dado blade you will cut a slot that the remainder of the jig will reference from.

[ATTACH]15575[/ATTACH]

The top slot is used for the initial cut on the log. I set a stop block that leaves a little bit to be trimmed from the log to get the proper length.

[ATTACH]15577[/ATTACH]

To make the first notch, set the log against the stop block and run it over the blade.

[ATTACH]15578[/ATTACH]

Next flip the log over and make a pass on the other side.

[ATTACH]15576[/ATTACH]

To make the remaining notches in the log you would use the bottom slot. To set this one up I made a locator block 3/4" x3/4" x 1/8" thick. I glued this block into the slot so that the leading edge was 2 1/4" from the dado groove. This serves as the positioning block for the remainder of the notches in the log.

(to be continued)
Attachments
Log jig 1.jpg
Log jig 1.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
log jig 2.jpg
log jig 2.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
log jig 3.jpg
log jig 3.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
log jig 4.jpg
log jig 4.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
log jig 5.jpg
log jig 5.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Log jigs continued

Post by tdubnik »

Frontier log jig continued:

[ATTACH]15579[/ATTACH]

To make the rest of the notches in the log, flip it around and locate the first notch over the locator block and cut your second notch.

[ATTACH]15580[/ATTACH]

Continue moving your log after each notch is cut until you get to the end of the log. Your desired finished log length doesn't matter at this point. You're just cutting the notches until you run out of length. The logs will be sized later.

In the next post I will show the log sizing jig for cutting your logs to the desired length.
Attachments
log jig 6.jpg
log jig 6.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
log jig 7.jpg
log jig 7.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

When I made them I cut the notches before ripping into narrow widths. The jig is a real good idea. After I cut the to finished size I ran the thru my surface sander to save time on sanding them
bffulgham
Gold Member

Excellent!

Post by bffulgham »

I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Great job!
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

sawmill wrote:When I made them I cut the notches before ripping into narrow widths. The jig is a real good idea. After I cut the to finished size I ran the thru my surface sander to save time on sanding them
Normally, I would have done that too. The thing is I was trying to use up some of my "scrap" wood and I was mostly working with pieces less than 2" wide and various lengths.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Frontier Log sizing jig

Post by tdubnik »

This is the jig I made for sizing the logs. I made this to work on my Ridgid table saw but it would work just as well on the Shopsmith. The jig is universal so it will work with any size log.

In my pictures I am showing a square log but when I made my logs I took the square logs and rounded the corners before cutting to length. I did this on the router table using Gripper push blocks. This allowed me to round the corners of the narrow stock without constructing any feather boards or other hold down devices.

[ATTACH]15582[/ATTACH]

This jig is built similar to the other jig in that I used 1/2" plywood for the base and 3/4" MDF to make the channel to hold the logs. A miter slot runner is attached to the bottom and the sled is trimmed for zero clearance.

[ATTACH]15583[/ATTACH]

Just like the other jig, I made a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 locator block and attached it 3/8" from the edge of the sled. This gives you the correct sizing for the ends of the logs.

[ATTACH]15584[/ATTACH]

To use the sled, first place one of the end notched over the locator block and trim the end to length.

[ATTACH]15585[/ATTACH]

Next decide what length you want your log to be. In this case, I chose to make a two notch log so I moved the log so that two notches were hanging off the right side of the jig.

[ATTACH]15586[/ATTACH]

After this cut you will have a two notch log with one end trimmed and the other end too long.

(To be continued in my next post)
Attachments
log jig 8.jpg
log jig 8.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
log jig 9.jpg
log jig 9.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
log jig 11.jpg
log jig 11.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
log jig 12.jpg
log jig 12.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
log jig 13.jpg
log jig 13.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Frontier log sizing jig ... part 2

Post by tdubnik »

Frontier log sizing jig ... continued:

[ATTACH]15587[/ATTACH]
Flip the log around and make a cut to trim the other end to the correct length.

[ATTACH]15588[/ATTACH]

Now you have a finished log (assuming that you rounded your corners before cutting to length.)

Once you have your jigs made you can make as many logs as you want pretty quickly.

I hope these jigs provide some inspiration and help should you choose to use up some "scrap".
Attachments
log jig 14.jpg
log jig 14.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
log jig 15.jpg
log jig 15.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
fiatben
Platinum Member

Great minds...

Post by fiatben »

Great minds think alike (well, saying it makes me feel better anyway). I made logs for two grandsons this Christmas and built a jig based on one seen on lumberjocks. Now I have a request for more and started rethinking the jig. Basically I came up with a scaled down version of the one shown here. It's about half-built in the shop. When I get it done, I'll try to take pics and post here to let everyone see another version. That is if I don't just make one like this. Mine is smaller, made from one piece of wood, but uses the same concept of capturing the 3/4" square blanks.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good jig!:cool:

I think I would soften the edges prior to notch cutting.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

[quote="JPG40504"]Good jig!:cool:

I think I would soften the edges prior to notch cutting.]

I tried that but got less tear out doing it this way. The sled provides a zero clearance for the dado blade and the router cut was so small I got virtually no tear out on it.