I've just GOT to get me a Mark V!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

snookfly
Bronze Member

I've just GOT to get me a Mark V!

Post by snookfly »

Hello, all. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all of your posts!

Based upon the great info I've read on this forum, as well as the Shopsmith page, I'm actively looking for a 510 or 520. I bid on one today on ebay that looked good, but couldn't find his reserve minimum - he had a 1994 510 that had been upgraded to a 520 listed at $1100 "buy it now". Appeared that a few minor items were missing, but nothing substantial. I've seen cheaper 510s and 500s, but not too many 520s since I've been looking. Was about to bite the bullet, but didn't...

I "stumbled" on the Shopsmith brand when I came within a few bucks of buying a Sawsmith 2000 recently. It was snagged for ~$315, which I think was likely a good deal. Since then I've been puring over web recources - not the least of which being this page. I'm kicking myself for not being able to hit the Lowes Shopsmith presentation in Lakeland, FL this weekend (not too far from Tampa Bay area, where I am.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to spread their knowledge!

Larry
--
Snookfly
"I just got to get me one of these!"
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Larry,
When you do find your SS, I know you'll enjoy it. Check out the traveling academy schedule on the SS site. There may be one in your area. Even though you're not an owner yet, the academy would give you a head start for when you do get yours.

Bruce
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

Larry, You will love it once you get one.. If you can afford it buy a new one!! Sometime the money you might think you save, will come back later to bite you!! Just my opinion...
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.
bpress
Bronze Member

Post by bpress »

might as well add my 2 cents; i've had my mark V for 23 years and it's been a great machine. i've replaced the belts a few times, had the motor bearings replaced, and put a new set of casters on it. other than that, simple routine maintenance. i love my shopsmith and would never part with it.
sconi
Silver Member

Demonstrator????

Post by sconi »

Even though I got mine second handed from a want ad, you might want to keep an eye out for a demonstrator, they are as good as a new one and quite a bit cheaper than a new one. They aren't always available but that is another option you might think about. Happy sawdust making.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Shopsmith is having a demo sale right now.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Larry:

You might also check out Shopsmith's retail store in Dayton (800-543-9396 x450). They often have demo units for sale at a good price with a full warranty. I usually stop in on my way to the U.P. and they often have machines, accessories, and tools on sale. They are great people to deal with.

I don't buy Shopsmith accessories on Ebay any more. I purchased a 500 for my son-in-law in '03 and the motor failed within two months. I had to buy a new motor so this wasn't such a good deal after all. A planer and joiner that I bought arrived in destroyed condition. Fortunately the shipments were insured so I got my money back. It was a lot of hassle tho.

I purchased a MK V 500 in '83 and it has been upgraded, first to a 510 and then later to a 520. When I set up my Northwoods shop I bought a 505 demo at the retail store along with the package to upgrade to 520. I figured it was time to treat myself.
rgupton1
Bronze Member

Sawsmith 2000

Post by rgupton1 »

Snookfly,

I just signed up for the forums and saw your post. I just about fell of my chair when you mentioned the Sawsmith 2000 you had bid on and the fact that you are from the Tampa Bay Area.. I bought that Sawsmith. I live a little north of Clearwater. I had recently bought a used (1982) Mark V and was on E-Bay looking for parts and accessories when I saw the Sawsmith.

I am just getting back into woorking after about 10 years out of it. I had a shopsmith before and built some really beautiful furnoiture with it (pride and joy is a solid cherry Queen Anne Dining table). I think you will love Shopsmith.

Bob
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Another one falling down the slippery slope of Shopsmith ownership!! Welcome to the family!

Eric
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Larry,

Contact me off list, if you're still hanging around this forum. I know someone in your area who sells reconditioned machines at really reasonable prices, with a great warranty.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander