Overarm Pin Router Mounting on Tubes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Overarm Pin Router Mounting on Tubes

Post by fredsheldon »

I just acquired my first Shopsmith V 500 and just won a 510 upgrade on E-bay. I'm thinking of purchasing the overarm pin router that mounts on the way tubes and was wondering if you have to remove the headstock each time you want to use the router. I just ordered the lift assist option if that makes any difference.:)
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

fredsheldon wrote:I just acquired my first Shopsmith V 500 and just won a 510 upgrade on E-bay. I'm thinking of purchasing the overarm pin router that mounts on the way tubes and was wondering if you have to remove the headstock each time you want to use the router. I just order the lift assist option if that make any difference.:)
The lift assist is a wise decision. When I first purchased my OPR I simply raised the headstock as high as it would go, thus leaving sufficient room for the OPR and a router. Later I decided I wanted a free standing OPR and purchased a used Mark V less the headstock and shortened it 18". That arrangements works like a charm. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great solution using a 2nd base.

So, are you happy with the OPR and would it be a wise purchase for me.

Fred
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

fredsheldon wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great solution using a 2nd base.

So, are you happy with the OPR and would it be a wise purchase for me.

Fred
Fred,

My OPR gets a great deal of use. The stand I created being a large portion of why. I have use of routers in three basic ways. Free standing work wher no router table is used. Under table router work, which I do have a free standing Incra router table and guide set up. OPR set up for above table uses. I am at an age where I prefer the OPR so I can see what the blade is doing from the top of my work which the way my mind and thinking work seems natural. There are some applications where under table routing is a better answer. As I have already said that configuration makes me nervous. When I do under table projects I find it worrysome to not know for certain where a cut will begin and end. I am always careful to set up beginning and ending marks on Blue tape both on the table and guards and on the object I am cutting. Still for this old guy seeing what is happening is preferred. I anly have one good arm. When I do router work my wife must help. The last project we did a little of both over and under. My wife realized when we switched to OPR just how much easier control and visual aspects help make one feel safer. Having said that I rather suspect the next three contributors will offer viable disagreement. That's good too. I should add that I went with the free standing system first because I had the room for the equipment and secondly with only one good arm I have some lifting issues. The OPR would never be used if I had to lift and support it everytime I desired to install or remove it from the Mark V to use it. I will also suggest that if you have a 520, it would be wise to have the 520 front and rear rails thus enabling interchanging fence onto the OPR stand. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

fredsheldon wrote:I just acquired my first Shopsmith V 500 and just won a 510 upgrade on E-bay. I'm thinking of purchasing the overarm pin router that mounts on the way tubes and was wondering if you have to remove the headstock each time you want to use the router. I just ordered the lift assist option if that makes any difference.:)

The answer is no. Here's a pic.
[ATTACH]15825[/ATTACH]

Also, find the OPR in the horizontal position is an excellent mortising machine.
Attachments
HPIM1968.jpg
HPIM1968.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Jim and Chuck, thanks for the information and photo. Looks like a OPR is in my future. Chuck, how long does it take to set up and take down the OPR each time you need to use it?
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Took a long time the first few. Now takes only a couple minutes. Sometimes there are two parts to installation. Mounting the OPR and mounting the router.

In my shop, it was tricky to fine a storage place for the OPR. Once figured out, it's now a snap to put it away. Here how it is stored.

[ATTACH]15832[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Larger cabinet inside half.jpg
Larger cabinet inside half.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Chuck,

Ok, I'm sold. :eek: Just ordered the OPR. Thanks for your pictures and suggestions. I was thinking about getting a second unit and cut it down like Jim did. But, if it only takes a few minutes to mount and unmount the unit, I will go that route to save space.

Fred
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

fredsheldon wrote:Chuck,

Ok, I'm sold. :eek: Just ordered the OPR. Thanks for your pictures and suggestions. I was thinking about getting a second unit and cut it down like Jim did. But, if it only takes a few minutes to mount and unmount the unit, I will go that route to save space.

Fred
I hope you enjoy it! My OPR took a long time to get out of backorder, but I've liked it ever since it arrived. I'll do any number of creative things with the OPR, enough that I seldom take my router out of that jig.
Chris