diagnose me..

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:I may not coincide with Bill, but this is how I see it(keep in mind I am assuming the 'new' screw head extends past both the inner bore and the outer surface of the eccentric).

As Bill pointed out, the motor belt will apply pressure against the idler sheave which will prevent the idler shaft from moving into the headstock.

If the idler shaft is restrained from moving into the headstock by belt pressure then why (again) was the screw and washer added to the eccentric. Assuming that the bearing set cannot relocate on the shaft.

You guys keep this up and I'll have a headstock torn apart on the bench.:eek:

The screw and washer at the top prevents the eccentric from moving out of the headstock.

The new eccentric does not have the set screw that secured the older bearing/idler shaft to the eccentric.

Without that set screw something needed to be added to position/retain the new idler shaft/bearings). The rear bearing is still free to move out of the eccentric, and the eccentric is still free to move into the headstock.

The new screw(not sure if Dusty's washer is OEM) will prevent both movements since its head(and washer?) will hold the bearing in the eccentric, and also hold the eccentric out of the headstock.

I am not totally clear of the shape of the new idler shaft, but I think the bearings are positioned to the shaft by increased shaft diameter at the inside face of both bearings. I assume the rest of the shaft is the same as the older version. The front bearing is held captive between the shaft od step and the idler sheave(maybe a clip instead????)

The washer has to be an addition made by me. Shopsmith would not have used the washer that is on my machine. The ID is incorrect for the size screw that it is on.

The OEM screw without the added washer will restrain the bearing.

There is a shoulder on the shaft that prevents the bearings from going on too far.
Attachments
P4210003 (Custom).JPG
P4210003 (Custom).JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:The washer has to be an addition made by me. Shopsmith would not have used the washer that is on my machine. The ID is incorrect for the size screw that it is on.

The OEM screw without the added washer will restrain the bearing.

There is a shoulder on the shaft that prevents the bearings from going on too far.
Thank You!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

dusty wrote:OKAY, I defer to your extreme experience level BUT THEN please explain what that screw and washer are there for.

BTW I do not believe that the eccentric that I recently installed (the new design) has a set screw.
The eccetric screw and washer was for holding the eccentric bushing from moving out of the headstock. The eccentric set screw was to prevent the idler shaft bearing from moving out of the eccentric bushing. If the eccentric bushing set screw became loose, the idler shaft bearing will slide past the washer if the eccentric has been rotated to tighten the belt. There is not need for the set screw as the cut in the eccentric bushing allow it to tightly grip the idler shaft bearing when the eccentric bolt is tighten. This was a much needed inprovement from Shopsmith. With this new eccentric bushing, the exist screw and washer should prevent the assembly from moving out of the headstock. I still recommend using a 1" (checked today) body washer for anyone using the old eccentric with the set screw or switch to the new eccentric.
[ATTACH]16290[/ATTACH]
Attachments
100_0467.JPG
100_0467.JPG (27.27 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
rele
Gold Member

Post by rele »

Well folks, the job is done, the idler shaft, bearing, eccentric etc are all done, the MARK V is in full working order.

In order to put the idler shaft in place I pulled off the bottom set spring and spring and washer, but likely didn't have too, I was forced to call my friend to help with it as he has a set spring tool thing, not sure I have the name right, just sooo happy to be done, I test cut a piece of wood and the band saw keeps spinning, so the eccentric is tight. YAY!!!

I owe it all to you folks, I couldn't have done it without you, thanks again so much and looking forward to woodworking tips from here on out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rele wrote:Well folks, the job is done, the idler shaft, bearing, eccentric etc are all done, the MARK V is in full working order.

In order to put the idler shaft in place I pulled off the bottom set spring and spring and washer, but likely didn't have too, I was forced to call my friend to help with it as he has a set spring tool thing, not sure I have the name right, just sooo happy to be done, I test cut a piece of wood and the band saw keeps spinning, so the eccentric is tight. YAY!!!

I owe it all to you folks, I couldn't have done it without you, thanks again so much and looking forward to woodworking tips from here on out.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rele
Gold Member

Post by rele »

heck ya, you guys have no idea. I am so indebted to you all. I am literally giddy, smiling ear to ear. SO HAPPY!

WHEW!!!!!!! IS DEFINITELY RIGHT!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rele wrote:heck ya, you guys have no idea. I am so indebted to you all. I am literally giddy, smiling ear to ear. SO HAPPY!

WHEW!!!!!!! IS DEFINITELY RIGHT!

Keep it well oiled!!!!!] all [/B]benefit from these 'problem' sessions!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝