Post by bkhop »

bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

bkhop wrote:Nick, Drew, et al.,

I'm wondering if you have considered the possibility of making the Sawdust Sessions (and Shop Tips) available through Apple's iTunes as Podcasts? You've got all the pieces in place, I'd think. Exposure seems like it ought to be astronomical. You could even possibly (though I don't know what the stipulations are) set it up in the iTunesU (as in iTunes University) page. This would make it very clear that what you're doing is an educational venture.
And, yes, it would work on both Mac and PC as iTunes is available for both platforms.

What wisdom can you share?

Bkhop
I understand your concern but frankly I don't install Apple software on my machine as it becomes a constant fight for control. I have found that Quicktime and Microsoft Media player refuse to coexist on my machine.

Just as your having problems using various PC products made for Apple on your Apple I find I have the similar problems using Apple products made for PC on my machine. I refuse to install/use Quicktime or ITunes for this reason.

I guess the ideal solution would be to produce the Sawdust sessions in both formats but at this point I think there are compromises using just one.
Ed
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

We have discussed podcasts frequently and we will, at some point, offer them. However, we don't have the manpower at this time. Drew and I spend 65% to 70% of our time preparing for the next Sawdust Session, and another 7% to 10% producing video tips and managing our new YouTube channel. The leaves about one day a week to eat lunch, go to the restroom, attend meetings, annoy the other employees, and work on additional projects. Under the heading of "additional projects," I currently have six assigned to me. The most pressing at this time is to offer our Sawdust Sessions as DVDs or VCDs. Drew and I have just finished the software and the design, but when that project goes into production, our time for new projects will go into the negative numbers.

Which is to say, I really don't see podcasts being offered anytime soon. But I appreciate the suggestion.

With all good wishes,
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

OK, cut out the restroom breaks.:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You can't expect them to cutout the restroom breaks but they could combine them with lunch.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

At the same time? euhh!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I have to agree here. Podcasts are mainstream. I've never listened to one, but I probably would try it if Shopsmith put something out. I could even watch the sessions while on the bus or anywhere else I happen to have time via my iPod (I got one as a gift. I don't use it much because I don't listen to so much music. Perhaps I'll start watching podcasts!)

Having insufficient time to manage it is understandable. It needs to be researched, and a trial needs to be conducted. Don't downplay the effort. I can imaging the stress Nick and Drew already have with all the compatibility issues today - do they want more people writing in saying "I can't see it"? Probably not right now.

That said, podcasts are an excellent marketing tool very different from webcasts and from youtube. It is another media type. And it reaches a different audience. First step would be to consider the demographics of the audience that listens to podcasts (as opposed to the other types of media distribution) and see if it is an audience Shopsmith wants to reach. Perhaps it is THE audience and no one knows it? Or perhaps it would be a bust.

I have no idea, but I wonder if the shop tips would be also be a good podcast candidate?

Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Sawdust Sessions as Podcasts?

Post by dusty »

I don't think I have the equipment/software required to watch a podcast so I have never tried. However, timing is the critical issue for Shopsmith. If now is the time, they better get on the bandwagon.

Yes, the Shopsmith crew appears to be pushed almost to their limit. Maybe Shopsmith needs to take a serious look at where they think they are going. If manpower is the show stopper, Shopsmith needs to be adding to the staff not reducing it.

The force reduction has begun to take a toll on Customer Service too. Just this week I was referred to allinonewood.com when I called Shopsmith with a question regarding rebuilding my headstock.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.