Sawdust Sessions as Podcasts?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

"A podcast is a collection of digital media files which is distributed over the Internet, often using syndication feeds, for playback on portable media players and personal computers."

This is the definition from Wikipedia. So in other words what we are doing is in fact a podcast, which by the way can be viewed on iPods or iTunes. All you have to do is load our sessions and/or tips onto/into your iPod/iTunes.

I hope this clears these muddy waters for ya'll.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="drewa

All you have to do is load our sessions and/or tips onto/into your iPod/iTunes.

I hope this clears these muddy waters for ya'll.

Be good,

Drew[/QUOTE"]

No, drew, it didn't clear muddy water. If fact, there may now be new mud.

If the Sawdust Sessions can be downloaded onto an iPod (for later viewing), why can I not download onto my PC? Or can I, and I just don't know how?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

dusty wrote:No, drew, it didn't clear muddy water. If fact, there may now be new mud.
I concur. If the sessions are available to be downloaded and then loaded onto an iPod, it surely isn't made very clear. (Nor even, as Dusty mentioned above, simply downloading them onto the computer for later viewing.)

If there was a way to take what you've done already and make it available for download, one of us on this forum has got to be smart enough to figure out how to get it to an iPod (or similar device). This could then be posted on the Academy page (though the exposure at iTunes would certainly not hurt!)
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Hello,
I have been successful in downloading the sessions via Real Player with their latest release. What I do is go to the web site and start the video then move my mouse to to top of the viewing area and a pop-up shows up asking if I want to download. I click it and it save the video. You have to watch the whole video while it is down loading and when the video is done you can go to where you saved it and play it back with real player. Hope this makes sense and works.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I just wrote a whole post and lost it! I'll try again.

I went to iTunes and searched for Shopsmith. Nothing. I searched for woodworking. I found 22 hits, some were songs but most were things I could subscribe to. These are the podcasts. I listed to a couple.

One was very intersting: Modern Workshop by David Noftz. It was his forth podcast, and he spoke about what power tool you should buy if you could only buy one. His choice: bandsaw. And he gave some rather compelling arguments why.

In the beginning of his podcast, he referenced his website. I went directly to it. It is a very good looking site, and you can subscribe to his podcasts right there.

http://modernwoodshop.com/

Well, I was impressed and I now have a new source of information to listen to. It might turn out to be junk but I am going to try.

I did not see any video podcasts in iTunes, but perhaps I did not look correctly. The one I saw listened to an audio podcast.

I think Shopsmith should at least get in there (probably as Nick or Drew so it sounds more independent to encourage more people to try it) so when you search woodworking you at least find something!

Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Jim, I am running Windows 2000 while accessing the network via AOL. I am unable to download and do not see what you describe at the "Top of the Viewing Area" (no popup or pulldown to grab).

Some of us have it while others do not. :( The story of my life.:(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Dusty,
I'm at work right now when I get home tonight I will look and see what I have done and report back. I was doing this from memory here at work and not on my PC. I know it works because I have several of them saved on my hard drive right now. I am dial up also. So now when I play them back there are not jerky.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I don't think Nick and Drew want you to be able to download them. I think they want to sell them at some point.

At one time, the option to download was there in google. Someone on this forum pointed it out. Soon that option was gone. Now you have found another loophole. I suspect that since you have reported it, it will be closed soon as well.

Paul
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

paul heller wrote: I went to iTunes and searched for Shopsmith. Nothing. I searched for woodworking. I found 22 hits, some were songs but most were things I could subscribe to. These are the podcasts. I listed to a couple.
That's odd. I went to iTunes (clicked the link on the left for PodCasts) and typed in "woodworking" and had 15 hits, all directly related to woodworking. The Woodwhisperer
Woodsmith Shop
etc., etc.

Why shouldn't/couldn't Shopsmith be right up there? We've got the content!
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Uh, folks...folks...YOU GUYS! Drew was putting you on. He has a very weird sense of humor sometimes. You can't download our stuff for i-pods from i-tunes. I thin the point he was trying to make -- if there is a point -- is that according to the all-seeing, all-knowing source of information on the Internet, Wikipedia, what we are presently doing with our Video Tips and Sawdust Sessions right here on this web site could be construed as a podcasts. They aren't, of course, and I don't think that Drew meant to send you off around Robin Hood's barn looking for them where they aren't.

In answer to the following comment, "Why shouldn't/couldn't Shopsmith be right up there? We've got the content!" please see my original post in this thread.

With all good wishes,