Brand new SS Owner

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chaad
Bronze Member

Brand new SS Owner

Post by chaad »

Was looking for a table saw on Craigslist and found a grey Mark V. Didn't know enough about it to know if it was all there, but it will drill press, table saw, and band saw so it was worth the asking price. Came with the manual, and this is one case where I may actually read the instructions! Sifting through to learn lube, testing, and setup from the fine folks here, and looking forward to getting into this.

Pics to follow...Thanks for all the good info!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chaad wrote:Was looking for a table saw on Craigslist and found a grey Mark V. Didn't know enough about it to know if it was all there, but it will drill press, table saw, and band saw so it was worth the asking price. Came with the manual, and this is one case where I may actually read the instructions! Sifting through to learn lube, testing, and setup from the fine folks here, and looking forward to getting into this.

In my opinion, the best way to become acquainted with this machine is to clean it and lubricate it. Furthermore, if it exhibits problems, the next best way is to tear it down and rebuild it, repairing/replacing as you go.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

What he said.

Welcome to the forum.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Don't turn the speed adjustment if it's not running!

You may have a day or two left to sell it or you will become a hopeless addict.
If you have been browsing Craig's list and eBay for attachments and accessories it's to late now
just accept your fate.

Welcome...........
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
chaad
Bronze Member

Post by chaad »

I do need to dig through the box to see how much of the guard system is there. None installed now, but have not matched the assorted bits up to the corresponding picture in the book. Also ordered the book that everyone recommends used on Amazon. Can't wait to get home to check serial number, but I think it's bumpy grey.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chaad
Bronze Member

Post by chaad »

Thanks for the link. Built an arbor on the fence gate this weekend and used the band saw and sander. Going to do maintenance and lube before doing anything else. Already a huge fan.
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

chaad wrote:Was looking for a table saw on Craigslist and found a grey Mark V. Didn't know enough about it to know if it was all there, but it will drill press, table saw, and band saw so it was worth the asking price. Came with the manual, and this is one case where I may actually read the instructions! Sifting through to learn lube, testing, and setup from the fine folks here, and looking forward to getting into this.

I became a new owner on Friday 8th, June 2012 (three days ago). :) Good luck and have fun learning. The guys on the forums here are mighty helpful. Haven't had time to give mine a through inspection, lube or alignment, but hope to do so Wed or Thur of this week.
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!