You have to read this.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jayp413
Gold Member

Post by jayp413 »

wiredone wrote:Nicely put Jay.
Thanks
Not a problem. I love this country and hate to see it tearing itself apart from the inside.
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

I saw (and purchased) a really cool bumper sticker that was actually printed in the USA, it read " All we make HERE anymore are Rich Executives"
I thought that pretty much nails the greed question.

The other one that I bought that day got instralled on the belt cover of my Milling machine. It read " Stupidity should be painful "
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
jayp413
Gold Member

Post by jayp413 »

wiredone wrote:I saw (and purchased) a really cool bumper sticker that was actually printed in the USA, it read " All we make HERE anymore are Rich Executives"
I thought that pretty much nails the greed question.

The other one that I bought that day got instralled on the belt cover of my Milling machine. It read " Stupidity should be painful "
Very true. I also heard a good one. A comedian said the biggest thing that America sells is houses back and forth to each other! :D
swampgator
Platinum Member

college workers

Post by swampgator »

Back in the 1960's and 1970's, college students could get jobs while going to school. While my daughter and her husband were going to college, they applied to burger joints, bars, grocery stores and such service jobs. In each case, they were told that they were over qualified. If I'm willing to work beneath my capabilities, how am I over qualified? Yes, some of those students would love to have the opportunity to work while paying off their bills and have some money to buy clothes or other necessities (such as auto repairs and gasoline). It's a world I don't understand. I hope someone here and solve this dilemna. :cool:
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

swampgator wrote:Back in the 1960's and 1970's, college students could get jobs while going to school. While my daughter and her husband were going to college, they applied to burger joints, bars, grocery stores and such service jobs. In each case, they were told that they were over qualified. If I'm willing to work beneath my capabilities, how am I over qualified? Yes, some of those students would love to have the opportunity to work while paying off their bills and have some money to buy clothes or other necessities (such as auto repairs and gasoline). It's a world I don't understand. I hope someone here and solve this dilemna. :cool:
Simply do not tell them of your 'over qualifications'.

Perhaps the 'management' does not want 'underlings' that know more than they.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

JPG40504 wrote:Simply do not tell them of your 'over qualifications'.

Perhaps the 'management' does not want 'underlings' that know more than they.:rolleyes:
Absolutely agree about management. When the interviewers ask about your education and you have a math/physics/statistics degree, they automatically tell you that you are over qualified. My son-in-law were talking about this one night and I told him to tell them that he was not there to exercise his education. He was hired for a couple years as a bar bouncer. Then when he got his first 2 masters, they told him he was far "too qualified". Our daughter was even told by the pastor of our church with her prelaw degree that she was "too qualifed", just because she had a degree. I suppose he wanted someone who would just bleep and obey. Personally, I'm not sure she would have worked out in a fast food institution. But, when I was getting out of the Navy in 1971, I worked at an ice house pulling ice, pumping gas and washing cars for about 8 months. Yes, I was going to classes and then I was hired as an apprentice for the Naval Air Rework Facility. They asked about my education, but did not say anything about my academic qualifications. It was all about my dexterity and following orders. But, again, apparently, those days are gone. :cool:
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I never met an over qualified applicant, although I have told more an a few that they were over qualified. Enough said?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jayp413 wrote:When is enough profit enough? They will keep squeezing us by outsourcing our jobs, raising prices when the cost of production is actually going down for them and then cry poverty when the people who now have no jobs can't afford to buy the crappy products made overseas by questionable labor practices and standards.
I really am not concerned with the stock holders. I'm concerned with my family being able to eat and have a roof over thier heads. Big companys do not concern themselves with the common working american anymore. It is simply how cheap and how fast can I mass produce a product to maximize profit.
There is no excuse in the world that makes any of this ok to me. Keep our jobs here and keep prices fair and we will buy the products we are making because we have jobs to pay for the products we build.
I am lucky I have a skilled trade under my belt or what would I do for a living? What's left out there?
It really is like a snake eating it's own tail. It can only last so long before we are all out of jobs and the big companies go bankrupt from us not being able to afford thier products.
Jay
Again I agree with most of everything you say. However each of us are at fault. How many buy and sell houses as homes instead of investments?

When I bought my first house it was sold to me as a home a place to raise my kids and etc. The next house I bought was sold as investment, I could buy it live in it a few years and flip it for a great profit. I didn't want a profit I wanted a house which would become my home. Today everyone I know buys houses with the idea of selling them at a profit.

You say you don't care about stockholders but they stockholders are doing the same you are they are trying to provide a life style for their families.

When is enough profit enough? That answer will only be realized when people stop putting importance in how rich someone is.

I always tell this story. When I was kid a man was describe like this, " Oh you know Joe he is the guy that has that wonderful wife Joan and those three beautiful kids." Later it became, "Oh you know Joe he is the guy that works at Microsoft and is always going to play golf." Today it has become, " Oh you know Joe he is the guy the drives the BMW and lives in the giant house at the end of the street."

At one time people's value was judged by how their family was.
Then people were later judged by where the worked, what they did and how much leisure time they had.
Today people are judged by how much money they have.

I know people that were filthy rich and lived in a less than average house, drove beat up cars and no one knew they were rich. Today if you want people to think you are rich you have to act like it, big car, big house, big drug problem, big social problems.

Greed which everyone of us has is the problem.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Jay
Again I agree with most of everything you say. However each of us are at fault. How many buy and sell houses as homes instead of investments?

When I bought my first house it was sold to me as a home a place to raise my kids and etc. The next house I bought was sold as investment, I could buy it live in it a few years and flip it for a great profit. I didn't want a profit I wanted a house which would become my home. Today everyone I know buys houses with the idea of selling them at a profit.

You say you don't care about stockholders but they stockholders are doing the same you are they are trying to provide a life style for their families.

When is enough profit enough? That answer will only be realized when people stop putting importance in how rich someone is.

I always tell this story. When I was kid a man was describe like this, " Oh you know Joe he is the guy that has that wonderful wife Joan and those three beautiful kids." Later it became, "Oh you know Joe he is the guy that works at Microsoft and is always going to play golf." Today it has become, " Oh you know Joe he is the guy the drives the BMW and lives in the giant house at the end of the street."

At one time people's value was judged by how their family was.
Then people were later judged by where the worked, what they did and how much leisure time they had.
Today people are judged by how much money they have.

I know people that were filthy rich and lived in a less than average house, drove beat up cars and no one knew they were rich. Today if you want people to think you are rich you have to act like it, big car, big house, big drug problem, big social problems.

Greed which everyone of us has is the problem.
If we could sit in a room together, I believe we could have a long and heated discussion about the contents of this thread but maybe I am not qualified.

I worked nearly all of my like as a grunt. I have never had a big car, I live in a modest 1700 sq foot home, I have never done drugs and my social problems are within the family unit. I don't seem to fit in your idea of what this country is all about.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If we could sit in a room together, I believe we could have a long and heated discussion about the contents of this thread but maybe I am not qualified.

I worked nearly all of my like as a grunt. I have never had a big car, I live in a modest 1700 sq foot home, I have never done drugs and my social problems are within the family unit. I don't seem to fit in your idea of what this country is all about.
Nor I!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange