Reusing motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shopdust
Bronze Member

Reusing motor

Post by shopdust »

Have just completed the PowerPro upgrade. Wow, what a difference, but that is another discussion.
Now that I have an excellent used 1 1/8 Hp motor to re-purpose any thoughts on removing the inner portion of the pulley?
mountain4don
Gold Member

Shopsmith Motor

Post by mountain4don »

shopdust wrote:Have just completed the PowerPro upgrade. Wow, what a difference, but that is another discussion.
Now that I have an excellent used 1 1/8 Hp motor to re-purpose any thoughts on removing the inner portion of the pulley?
The way it is set up for a Shopsmith it may have a value of $100 or more. Stripping off the Shopsmith stuff it has a value as a used motor of $10. If you have a use for a 1 hp motor, you can buy them pretty cheap at a lot of places. And look for an oppurtunity to sell the Shopsmith specialized motor? Or do what the rest of us do. But another antique Shopsmith with a burned out motor! :D
Don, on the hill in Mid-Missouri
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

done that:D
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
trainguytom
Gold Member

SS with a burned motor???

Post by trainguytom »

I'm sure they exist, but in all the MK5's I've found, many not running, I've never had one with a burned out motor. Lot's of other reasons why they wouldn't run, but that's one pretty good motor.
I suppose it's sacrilege to speak badly about the new Power-pro, but in the absence of a long performance history like the old headstock, maybe you should keep the old motor as a backup just in case.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

trainguytom wrote:I'm sure they exist, but in all the MK5's I've found, many not running, I've never had one with a burned out motor. Lot's of other reasons why they wouldn't run, but that's one pretty good motor.
I suppose it's sacrilege to speak badly about the new Power-pro, but in the absence of a long performance history like the old headstock, maybe you should keep the old motor as a backup just in case.
If you are going to keep the motor as a backup, there is a list of other parts that you also need to keep.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
trainguytom
Gold Member

Parts to keep?

Post by trainguytom »

It never occurred to me that I should mention other parts to keep because I never toss out any SS parts...I keep everything, guess I thought everybody did. You can't have too many spare parts.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

trainguytom wrote:It never occurred to me that I should mention other parts to keep because I never toss out any SS parts...I keep everything, guess I thought everybody did. You can't have too many spare parts.
I keep most everything myself but there are some who sell off everything that is not bolted in.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Pick up a real cheap non-operating Mark V headstock or an empty Mark V casing, motor pan and belt cover and assembly a spare headstock as backup for you or to sell. I find when I have a spare, I never need to use it. However, if I throw out or get rid of the spare, then I find I will need it later. Murphy's Law?

Also, I find a second or third Shopsmith is quit nice to have around.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

I recently met with Bill Mayo in his shop. One of his work stations is where he does motor work where he adds reverse switches or on some he can convert them from 120 VAC to 240 VAC.

He gets burned out motors too. What happens he told me is the belt can stick to the sheaves and if it doesn't turn within 10 seconds, then there will be smoke! The moral of the story I guess is to realize that the motor better turn immediately or else you'll be needing a new/rebuilt/reused motor.

So do your maintenance on your Mark V and it will run forever. It's not really hard either, some compressed air, a few drops of oil and if you haven't used it for a while, just pull the cover and check the belts.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
trainguytom
Gold Member

Maintainance

Post by trainguytom »

It's amazing how little maintenance the old headstocks need in order to stay functional, & yet I haven't found one yet that was well lubed when I opened it up. Oh well, I suppose if they ran like a top when I bought them I wouldn't be able to get them as cheap as I do.