A Simple Index Wheel

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, idh - have you ever considered trying out a barley wtist with that set-up?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

charlese wrote:Hi, idh - have you ever considered trying out a barley wtist with that set-up?
Probably could be done, but I will leave that type of turning to the CNC Wood-turners. My challenge was trying to build an indexing wheel and router set up that would work on the Shopsmith. If I don't bog down in some other adventure over the next few weeks I will see what I can use the set up for.
Other members of the forum may see some aspect of the set up that they can use and we might see that barley twist leg or lamp done in a new way.

ldh
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

ldh wrote:Probably could be done, but I will leave that type of turning to the CNC Wood-turners. My challenge was trying to build an indexing wheel and router set up that would work on the Shopsmith. If I don't bog down in some other adventure over the next few weeks I will see what I can use the set up for.
Other members of the forum may see some aspect of the set up that they can use and we might see that barley twist leg or lamp done in a new way.

ldh
I have the lead screw and other necssary parts to adapt a 510 for twists etc. as in the following thread:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=1

John
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

jgrounds wrote:I have the lead screw and other necssary parts to adapt a 510 for twists etc. as in the following thread:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=1

John

John,
Neat looking system on your mini lathe. What does the set-up look like on a 510/520? Viewing your pics I am afraid your metal working skills are light years ahead of me. Thanks for sharing.

ldh
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

IS RIGHT... nice job
I would like to know just how the wheel is attached?
does it mount directly to the chuck?
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

lightnin wrote:Image

IS RIGHT... nice job
I would like to know just how the wheel is attached?
does it mount directly to the chuck?

Wheel mounts to back of Talon chuck using the threaded demount holes provided in the chuck.

ldh
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

ldh wrote:Wheel mounts to back of Talon chuck using the threaded demount holes provided in the chuck.

ldh
Here is my talon with Shopsmith adapter.
there are only two holes that it could be
it just seems like you would need three for stability

Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Here is my talon with Shopsmith adapter.
there are only two holes that it could be
it just seems like you would need three for stability

Lightnin,

The index wheel is under virtually no stress and two bolts keep it aligned with the chuck.
ldh
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

This is my first attempt at designing a index wheel system for the SS and when I finish the router attachment that goes with it I may take my drawings to a machine shop for real pros to fabricate it if there is enough interest.
ldh

I know this was posted awhile back Idh, but did you ever find someone that would produce these? I have some future projects on the "to do" list and an indexing wheel for the shopsmith would be really nice. I have just started looking around. I cannot tell if the one on Penn State would work on a Shopsmith without a lot of additional modifications (not my strong suit)

http://www.ironfirellc.com/main.sc has idexing wheels but it looks like the center hole may be too large.

If anyone else has some thoughts or ideas (other than making it from scatch) I'm all ears.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »