Weekend project: Scout Plaques

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sailseahawk
Gold Member

Weekend project: Scout Plaques

Post by sailseahawk »

Hello,
Made these this past weekend for our scout troop.
[ATTACH]18563[/ATTACH]

All boys getting promoted to star, life or eagle get one.

There are multiple companies making the patches. The Merit Badges are pretty close, the the rank badges can be very different in size, so I have to freehand with the router...some come out better than others..:o

Seahawk
Attachments
Scout Plaques lr .JPG
Scout Plaques lr .JPG (222.47 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sailseahawk wrote:Hello,
Made these this past weekend for our scout troop.
[ATTACH]18563[/ATTACH]

All boys getting promoted to star, life or eagle get one.

There are multiple companies making the patches. The Merit Badges are pretty close, the the rank badges can be very different in size, so I have to freehand with the router...some come out better than others..:o

Seahawk

Very impressive. The boys will cherish those for sure.

What! No Woodworking Badges in the group?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Looks good. I was a former order of the arrow scout and still remember those days fondly.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Weekend project: Scout Plagues

Post by flashbacpt »

Very Nicely Done! Love the shape and layout of the badges! Something to keep forever!

FlashbacPT
John
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Those are really nice. I know they will keep them forever. My son is going to do his Eagle Project this Sat. then finish three more merit badges, and he will be a Eagle Scout. Do they get a another one each time they gain rank since the patches are different size?
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
sailseahawk
Gold Member

Post by sailseahawk »

joedw00 wrote:Those are really nice. I know they will keep them forever. My son is going to do his Eagle Project this Sat. then finish three more merit badges, and he will be a Eagle Scout. Do they get a another one each time they gain rank since the patches are different size?
Joe,

Yes, a scout receives a separate plaque for Star, Life & Eagle. I will be making Eagle plaques shortly, and will post. My son is likewise almost an eagle. We pour cement for his project tomorrow, wed, at 4 pm. Only two requirements on two badges left. :)

Our Eagle Plaques are pretty nice. They can choose either a shield shape or Fleur-de-le (scout) emblem shape.

I am hoping to come up with a "nesting" design, so you get a Star plaque, and when you make Life, another one that matches/surrounds/adds to it is given, and likewise for Eagle. Have not come up with a design yet. :(

Thanks,
Seahawk
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Sailseahawk;
Help the boys make their own plaques and then the woodworking merit badge can be added to the plaque.
Bill V
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

That is such a good idea. I think the Fleur-de-le would look good. I might try to make one for my son, if I can borrow your idea. If I did it for all the boys, that is all I would get done.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
sailseahawk
Gold Member

Run in Batches

Post by sailseahawk »

joedw00 wrote:That is such a good idea. I think the Fleur-de-le would look good. I might try to make one for my son, if I can borrow your idea. If I did it for all the boys, that is all I would get done.
Joe,
I run the plaques in batches. Gang together a stack of 4 blanks to bandsaw & drum sand edges, etc

It goes pretty fast. Takes about 1.5 hours to make one, 2.5 to 3 hours to make 16.

Guess I'm making about 25 a year now. I need to make about 5 Eagle plaques in the next few months! They are more complicated. Will post pics.

Seahawk
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Seahawk, great job and an interesting project which takes me back more years than I care to admit. Yes at age 13 in 1955 I became an Eagle Scout. It would take one very large or a few of your presentation pieces to display all of my merit badges. In fact mine are all still mounted on my sash. My question being, in the 1950's merit badges were cloth. How and of what are current badges made? Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.