First Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

trainguytom
Gold Member

Interesting comment

Post by trainguytom »

About the machine's history, or former owner(s)
I usually seem to get machines from the kids of the original owner. (at least the greenies) Most sellers are glad to know that the machine will be restored & have another life. That makes me feel good & them feel good.
As a bonus with some machines, I'll get envelopes or packets with the original paperwork, owners name, Shopsmith corespondence, etc.

This always gives me pause to reflect a bit on the history of the machine & the owners. I suppose I do that because it reminds me of learning some of my woodworking skills from my dad as he proudly worked on his new 10er. I remember those first rather ragged shapes cut on the jigsaw attachment and getting my new set of lathe chisels one Christmas.

I've probably said this before, (but I'm old enough now that repeating myself doesn't seem so bad) (and in thinking about this...I'm older than my dad was when taught me this stuff) sometimes I think I can still hear him say, "watch your fingers, Tommy" when I'm working on that machine.
I guess that's why it's more than just a power tool for me.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I also say "Amen and Amen" to Tom's posts. Right on Tom.
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
creekrunner
Gold Member

First shopsmith

Post by creekrunner »

OK guys, I went and looked at the local shopsmith. About 10 miles from where I live. Decent machine for its age and had a jigsaw with it. Also had manuals, a few tools, etc.

:D I brought her home!:D
Attachments
SSJigSaw.jpg
SSJigSaw.jpg (215.83 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Should be making sawdust soon:D :D

Congrats! Hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

saminmn wrote:Should be making sawdust soon:D :D

Congrats! Hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment.
But first! got the maintenance and repair forum and read the first 2 sticky posts at the top!! Lots of good info there.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX