SS Bandsaw Fences - differences??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobgroh
Gold Member

SS Bandsaw Fences - differences??

Post by bobgroh »

Specifically interested in the fence(s) for the latter aluminum tables (not including the KREG fence). There were apparently two different versions - both versions have a rail and a clamp on the 'back' of the table.

One version (the earlier) also had a second clamp on the other side of the table (i.e. one in the 'front' and one in the back - like the fence on the saw table) that grabs the table.

The second version (the current one in the catalog) apparently did away with the second clamp.

So which is better? And what are the trade offs?
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bobgroh wrote:Specifically interested in the fence(s) for the latter aluminum tables (not including the KREG fence). There were apparently two different versions - both versions have a rail and a clamp on the 'back' of the table.

One version (the earlier) also had a second clamp on the other side of the table (i.e. one in the 'front' and one in the back - like the fence on the saw table) that grabs the table.

The second version (the current one in the catalog) apparently did away with the second clamp.

So which is better? And what are the trade offs?

Bob, I believe that the current bandsaw fence locks to the table by clamping both onto the table on the front and onto the rail on the rear.

[ATTACH]18666[/ATTACH]

This image does not make my point. Either I am wrong or I need to post a different image.
Attachments
bandsaw_fence_and_acc2.jpg
bandsaw_fence_and_acc2.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It looks like I am dead wrong. This is what my two fences look like. Nothing like the catalog photo.

[ATTACH]18670[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18671[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Band Saw Fence 001 (Custom).JPG
Band Saw Fence 001 (Custom).JPG (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Band Saw Fence 002 (Custom).JPG
Band Saw Fence 002 (Custom).JPG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think the ss site is in error.

The pix does not match the description(no locking lever).
[ATTACH]18683[/ATTACH]

This description matches the pix(same pix, different description/fence).
[ATTACH]18684[/ATTACH]

The left fence is the 'standard' fence, the right fence is the upgrade.
[ATTACH]18685[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18686[/ATTACH]

Note 'upgrade' means two different things. One is upgrade from CI table the other is upgrade the fence.
Attachments
bs fence desc.jpg
bs fence desc.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
bs fence desc ug.jpg
bs fence desc ug.jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
bs fence a.jpg
bs fence a.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
bs fence b.jpg
bs fence b.jpg (112.69 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW, the ss online info has been updated.

1) the Band saw comes without a fence.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsaw.htm

2) the optional fence is the newer type with front and rear clamping.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsawfence.htm

3) the table upgrade etc. includes the newer type fence.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bsu_tablesystem.htm

Thank You Admin!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

So still confusing. There are two examples on the E*** place - one of each type. Not sure if the one with two clamps is able to be 'skewed' to correct for drift. In fact, that may be the difference. The 'newer' one (the one in present catalog) clamps on one end only and that makes it easier to tweak it to adjust for blade drift.

Today I just clamp a board to the table but not always easy to find a place without a rib in place. Would love to have a 'real' fence - the SS one is nice, the Kreg one is nice and there are some plans for nice ones.

Again more opinions welcome - not a show stopper for me as I have a LOT of other things to do. But some day!!!
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bobgroh wrote:So still confusing. There are two examples on the E*** place - one of each type. Not sure if the one with two clamps is able to be 'skewed' to correct for drift. In fact, that may be the difference. The 'newer' one (the one in present catalog) clamps on one end only and that makes it easier to tweak it to adjust for blade drift.

Today I just clamp a board to the table but not always easy to find a place without a rib in place. Would love to have a 'real' fence - the SS one is nice, the Kreg one is nice and there are some plans for nice ones.

Again more opinions welcome - not a show stopper for me as I have a LOT of other things to do. But some day!!!

Go back to post #4. Notice the first pix with both versions. Both have the threaded holes for 'skewing'.]pdf[/B] catalog?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

fjimp
Platinum Member

Ultimate Upgrades

Post by fjimp »

Okay visit this Shopsmith link and page down to the bottom of the page. There you will find the ultimate band saw upgrade including the "Blue" resaw guide. YES it works I use mine frequently. Jim

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... mfence.htm
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

For what it's worth, I just (well 2 months ago) ordered and received (a week ago) a *new* bandsaw and *new* fence from shopsmith and neither look like the shopsmith photos referenced above. The modern bandsaw has a window to see the tension setting without opening and the fasteners that close it are standard ones that use the usual shopsmith "tool" and the fence clamps at front and back with an extra piece that screws on one side of the table. If anyone thinks photos of the new setup would be helpful I can take the time to take some tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the blade shopsmith shipped me (preinstalled) makes a noise each time around when I hand turn the wheels, so I'm still waiting on a new blade to actually use the thing.

The photo here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsaw.htm
and here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... wfence.htm

are accurate and represent what I received.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nil wrote:For what it's worth, I just (well 2 months ago) ordered and received (a week ago) a *new* bandsaw and *new* fence from shopsmith and neither look like the shopsmith photos referenced above. The modern bandsaw has a window to see the tension setting without opening and the fasteners that close it are standard ones that use the usual shopsmith "tool" and the fence clamps at front and back with an extra piece that screws on one side of the table. If anyone thinks photos of the new setup would be helpful I can take the time to take some tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the blade shopsmith shipped me (preinstalled) makes a noise each time around when I hand turn the wheels, so I'm still waiting on a new blade to actually use the thing.

The photo here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsaw.htm
and here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/bandsawfence.htm

are accurate and represent what I received.

Admin changed the online pix after the earlier posts on this thread. I believe (and apparently thee as well) that they are now correct.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝