How to nail...without damaging wood?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Truth be told, soft wood makes this more difficult. Clean joints are all but impossible.

Yes it looks nice now.

Will look much better later!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

That's a good looking table Morgan, nice job!
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Real nice looking!
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
trainguytom
Gold Member

Post by trainguytom »

Pine can be a really attractive wood, especially when clear & also when quarter sawn. The table looks great. If it were mine, and the nails are recessed, I'd use some contrasting wood plugs as an accent.
If you plan on staining before final finish, I'd recommend a sanding sealer first to limit blotching that pine is prone to. I use Zinsser's sanding sealer and sometimes when staining, I even thin it a bit more. Best to practice on scraps first.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Morgan you did a very nice job. Before becoming acquainted with hard wood I built a few projects from soft pine. Never with that nice a result. Congratulations. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

I might have gone with pocket screws from the underside into the legs to avoid having the visible holes that draw my eyes.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Very nice job of which you should be proud. My personal preference is to use biscuits in place of dowels. Then also use the screws in a hidden position as suggested. But, you did a great table. Thanks for showing.

:)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D