Saying Hello from England

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrism
Gold Member

Saying Hello from England

Post by chrism »

Hi All,
Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I have just purchased a MkV 510 with bandsaw off ebay (UK) for £300 I have yet to collect it, think I very got a good deal as there is another with 1 bid of £299 and it looks very ropey compared with photos of mine. There is also a basic MkV with bandsaw for £950!
I've wanted one of these for years after seeing a demo at an agricultural show.
My only slight worry is that l don't think there is now an importer/distributor in the UK - can anyone advise?
My first concern is how l dismantle for transport. My intention is to remove the legs and four tubes from each end of the machine so that it will fit into my vehicle, is this a sensible thing to do, anything in particular I should be aware of?
When I get it home I'll give you all an update - middle of next week I hope!

Chris
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

Depends on how big you car is. If you can fit the legs and the tubes in then I recommend just pulling off the headstock. See this video. Basically, with small block of wood you use the table legs to angle the tubes. With a 5/32nd Allen wrench you remove the tie bar and pull the headstock off. By the way, you may find the Allen screws are more likely on the bottom, not the top in that video.

If you need it smaller with a screwdriver and maybe an adjustable wrench you can remove the legs. Bring a bag to hold the hardware you remove. Pull the headstock first or the weight may tear out the holes on the legs when you only have one or two screws left. Ask me how I know :confused:
sailseahawk
Gold Member

Welcome

Post by sailseahawk »

Chris,
The most important item is do not turn the speed dial when turned off. That can damage it. Good news is there are parts for virtually every repair if you have problems. My SS is a 1954 model, and I can still get parts from Shopsmith, as well as used.

In general, if you are handy with a wrench and screwdriver, it all comes apart and goes together very simply. I am sure others will add some more specifics, but there are no "tricks" or surprise springs, hidden fasteners, etc. Don't forget to bring Hex keys (aka Allen Wrenches) to take it apart. All of the fasteners are in SAE sizes 3/16", 1/2", etc. (non- metric).

Please see the "Newowner Information" thread under Maintenance and repair for a lot of info to get started. Link here: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=7092

Please do keep us updated!

Seahawk
danscot
Gold Member

Post by danscot »

Welcome aboard Chris. All the information you'll ever need is available on this forum. Put "transporting" into the Search and you'll find the answer to your current question!

You're right, the UK distributor seems to have given up on Shopsmith. They do still have some remaining stock of bits & pieces so it would be worth checking with them for anything you need: http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/Shopsmith/

Shopsmith themselves don't ship over here but there are E-Bay sellers in the States who will, including this one suggested to me by a forum member: stores.ebay.com/bandsaw-tires-shopsmiths-cadillacs/SHOPSMITH

I rebuilt the headstock on my 510 earlier this year so if you need UK bearing numbers & a supplier just let me know.
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/Shopsmith/
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome Chris from the FLAT LANDS OF KANSAS. There is all kinds of information to be had here.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Chris, welcome to the forum from the Land of 10,000 Lakes Here in Minnesota!! This is a great group with lots of support for each other.

May you have many hours of enjoyment making sawdust:D
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
chrism
Gold Member

Saying Hello from England (Cornwall)

Post by chrism »

Hi All,

Well, finally collected my 510 today, 450 mile round trip, removed legs, power unit and main table and was able to fit it into my small 2 door SUV (Nissan Terrano II) along with all the extras, the bandsaw had the front seat all to itself!

I've got the bandsaw with what looks like an 1/8th inch blade & coolblocks, 2 Saw blades with arbors (one unused) several lath accessories (unused) a router table & guard (not sure how that goes on - I'll break the habit of a lifetime and read the manual!!) drill chuck etc. No sign of any corrosion on either the way tubes or bench tubes, in fact it smells of wax - so well looked after. The seller started it up and I ran the speed control up & down seems free and smooth - I'll give it a good old clean and oiling tomorrow. I'll try and take some pictures and post them after I've got it all assembled.

From one happy Bunny!

Chris
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forum Chrism. GREAT ya finally got it home. Don't forget to align it after the clean and lube.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

chrism wrote:Hi All,

Well, finally collected my 510 today, 450 mile round trip, removed legs, power unit and main table and was able to fit it into my small 2 door SUV (Nissan Terrano II) along with all the extras, the bandsaw had the front seat all to itself!

I've got the bandsaw with what looks like an 1/8th inch blade & coolblocks, 2 Saw blades with arbors (one unused) several lath accessories (unused) a router table & guard (not sure how that goes on - I'll break the habit of a lifetime and read the manual!!) drill chuck etc. No sign of any corrosion on either the way tubes or bench tubes, in fact it smells of wax - so well looked after. The seller started it up and I ran the speed control up & down seems free and smooth - I'll give it a good old clean and oiling tomorrow. I'll try and take some pictures and post them after I've got it all assembled.

From one happy Bunny!

Chris
Welcome and congratulations! Here is a link to the UK Shopsmith users group. They seem to be a cheery and helpful lot and not so far from you! Have fun with it!
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Hi All,

Put it all back together today - you can see the quality of engineering, never had hands on with one before one thing that surprised me was just how heavy it is! and how easily it moves on the castors. Got it cleaned, waxed and oiled, runs very sweetly. Checked the saw table alignment - no adjustments required only tightened up the fence outfeed clamp.

One "problem" I hope one (or more) of you guys can help with.... how do you bevel rip with the saw guard in position. When I tried I found that the table fouls the bottom guard and so won't go down leaving only 1/4" of blade above the table.

I've taken a photo which is taken from the underside of the table showing the triangular shaped casting touching the lower guard. I know I must be doing something wrong as the various books / manuals show the guard in place!

Chris

PS Thanks SDSSmith for the UK link, my searches didn't throw that one up - I've joined.
Attachments
guard.jpg.jpg
guard.jpg.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 8019 times