Slight Rust Issue.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Slight Rust Issue.

Post by fredsheldon »

Looks like this poor guy spent some time under salt water during one of our storms out of the Gulf.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/3342701971.html
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Looks like it has been sitting in a barn for the last 50 years. I was at our Habitat for humanity restore yesterday and they had one for $100.00 that was in a lot better shape that that one.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

At least you get one nice shiny blade :)

BTW look at this on on ebay UK : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321006336727? ... 1423.l2649
Chris - Location: Cornwall, UK.
1993 SS MkV 510 with Bandsaw, Biscuit Jointer, Router.
Looking for more goodies to go with it!!
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Wow - that is scary! I can't imagine there was any interest on that one. My last check on Craig's List in/around San Francisco and Portland OR (the two closest metro areas to me), Mark V's in seemingly good shape can be had for $200-$300.
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

I thought I might wait till the end of the auction and then make a realistic offer as there are probably some parts I could salvage!
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I don't know, I don't think I'd even take the time to go for it. For the life of me, I can't ever understand, and probably never will, why people would abuse their tools in this manner.

BPR
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Maybe I am over optimistic as to what I could do with it having seen some of the amazing restorations on this forum!

One of the problems here in the UK is getting hold of parts. Shopsmith won't ship direct to customers in the UK, I have made contact with the UK company who used to import and sell over here and they say they can get hold of 80% of spare parts but the spts may be a problem.

We don't have Craigs List over here, at least not outside London, so the only place to go is e-bay, that's where I got my MkV 510 for a very good price and its in very good condition, the only part missing is an arbor grub screw! When I see some of the totally unrealistic start bids I know I got a great deal!

Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chrism wrote:Maybe I am over optimistic as to what I could do with it having seen some of the amazing restorations on this forum!

One of the problems here in the UK is getting hold of parts. Shopsmith won't ship direct to customers in the UK, I have made contact with the UK company who used to import and sell over here and they say they can get hold of 80% of spare parts but the spts may be a problem.

We don't have Craigs List over here, at least not outside London, so the only place to go is e-bay, that's where I got my MkV 510 for a very good price and its in very good condition, the only part missing is an arbor grub screw! When I see some of the totally unrealistic start bids I know I got a great deal!

Chris
Chris; if someone here in the states had the items that you need, would there be a problem shipping to you? I'm thinking customs, tariffs, taxes or anything like that.

Is the arbor grub screw a problem? If it is, the problem can be solved real easy. Just send me your address in a private message.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chrism
Gold Member

Post by chrism »

Hi Dusty,

There is no problem sending parts, or complete machines! to the UK. The rules for personal postal imports are quite simple, the sender simply sticks a customs declaration label on the packet / parcel describing the item and giving a value. hereafter the payment of any duties due is the responsibility of the recipient.

On values up to £15 (about $24) there are no charges, above that up £135 (about $217) there is VAT (sales Tax) of 20%. Above that then you pay Duty + Vat, The Duty rate is 2.7% and is written off if the duty total is less than £9.00 so in reality the duty wouldn't be a problem just the VAT! If it is a Gift then the value can be up to £40 ($64) before any taxes are payable.

If it is a commercial transaction, business to business, then things get more involved so I won't go into that, but if I want to buy goods from a company in the States, this is deemed to be personal and I have done so in the past with no problems. The only reasons I can see for Shopsmith's reluctance is either they still have an exclusive arrangement with the original UK importers or they are concerned about warranty / insurance / damage to items they ship.

If you do know of a seller in the States then I should be grateful for their details. Re the grub screw, my contact with the UK company is putting together a kit of bits & pieces (similar to the Help Kit) for me with several grub screws in it. In the meantime I have 2 saw arbours + the 12" sander so I can use the screws off them, but thanks for your offer of help, that is very kind.

Chris
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Sadly that machine is so far gone it's destined for the scrap yard - the amount of labor to remove that level of rust isn't worth it, especially given how cheaply similar machines in far better condition can be had.