How much side play is normal where mitre hold down rod meets material ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john_520
Silver Member

How much side play is normal where miter hold down rod meets material ?

Post by john_520 »

I seem to have a lot of side play where the miter hold down rod meets the board I am cutting.
It's not obvious when board is under tension, but prior to clamping down there is about 1/4 inch of side play at the rod end.
Play originates mostly where the lock guide #264 clamps onto the lock lever at the upper handle end, and again at the handle base bolt where it mounts onto
the indicator mount block #276.
Is this normal ? or is it worn out ? ... Do I need to order some new parts ?

Thanks !
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

john_520 wrote:I seem to have a lot of side play where the miter hold down rod meets the board I am cutting.
It's not obvious when board is under tension, but prior to clamping down there is about 1/4 inch of side play at the rod end.
Play originates mostly where the lock guide #264 clamps onto the lock lever at the upper handle end, and again at the handle base bolt where it mounts onto
the indicator mount block #276.
Is this normal ? or is it worn out ? ... Do I need to order some new parts ?

Thanks !
Hi,

First, and foremost welcome to the forum!

Second, I don't think the play you are seeing is excessive. So long as when you grip handle it holds the workpiece in place. You probably have checked the fasteners to make sure they are tight already, right? So long as it holds you are good to go.

Ed