The Shopsmith BT3000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

So is he selling the adapter plates ?
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

gregf wrote:So is he selling the adapter plates ?
Yes, I believe he is but you'd have to contact him directly. His handle here on this forum is worknhard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

Woodturner at the site you linked really seems to give the appearance of knowing quite a bit about Shopsmith. Wonder if any of it is true? :( Although I have to say that lately the same thoughts had crossed my mind. Would be neat to see a "factory-approved" version of the BT3000 sliding table.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

letterk wrote:Woodturner at the site you linked really seems to give the appearance of knowing quite a bit about Shopsmith. Wonder if any of it is true? :( Although I have to say that lately the same thoughts had crossed my mind. Would be neat to see a "factory-approved" version of the BT3000 sliding table.
I think Shopsmith already offers what amounts to a "factory approved" sliding table. They call it the Shopsmith Edition Miter Express (by Incra).

This is not intended in any way to throw cold water on this BT3000 sliding table and router table adaptations Dusty is showing in this thread. In fact, I think they look very cool.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

worknhard
Gold Member

Post by worknhard »

Hey Dusty, that Shopsmith 3000 mod. looks pretty nice on your shorty. When I first designed the brackets to make this mod. I never got around to attaching it to a short setup, yours makes it look pretty good. I've been out of pocket for awhile and haven't had a chance to use my shopsmith 3000. Since I have a folding outfeed table that hangs on the rear rail, I've wondered how well I could tilt the main table to do bevel/miter cross-cuts. Well, I got a chance to see today. I needed to do a 40 degree cut on a couple boards. It worked great. The outfeed table didn't hinder me at all... and the sliding miter table works just as smooth operating in tilted fashion as it does flat at zero degrees. Here's a picture with my outfeed table attached and you can see what I am talking about. That table must weigh at least 30 - 40 lbs... it's pretty heavy. I was a bit concerned that I might have problems tilting the main table with it hanging off the rear rail.

Anyway, for those who are interested in knowing more about my modification feel free to write me or post your questions and I'll try to answer them.

algale, you're not throwing any cold water on this design... I am aware that Incra has a nice aftermarket accessory with extruded aluminum rails and fence for the Shopsmith and other table saws but I didn't know they had a sliding table... I'll have to check it out.

Ron
[ATTACH]19490[/ATTACH]
Attachments
008R.jpg
008R.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 36377 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

worknhard wrote:
algale, you're not throwing any cold water on this design... I am aware that Incra has a nice aftermarket accessory with extruded aluminum rails and fence for the Shopsmith and other table saws but I didn't know they had a sliding table... I'll have to check it out.

Ron
[ATTACH]19490[/ATTACH]
Ron,
I don't want to hi-jack this thread so I'll just say that the Incra Miter Express (Shopsmith edition) isn't a true sliding table but offers much of the the same functionality of one. You can see it on Shopsmith's site or Incra's. I've only seen the non-Shopsmith edition in action and I was impressed.
But I also like your innovations very much.

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Ron, is that a Ryobi outfeed table or your own design?
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
worknhard
Gold Member

Post by worknhard »

Peter -- The outfeed table attached to my saw is the Ryobi design. It was offered as an accessory to the BT3000. I found it to be a nice addition, however, it is large and heavy... 40" wide x 30" deep and 3/4" thick. For the BT3000 in a static setup it works very well, but attaching it to my Shopsmith 3000 gave me a little concern... I was afraid the large mass hanging off the rear rail in a mobile situation might introduce some stresses that could be problematic. So far it is working well. I may eventually develop my own design to reduce some weight.

Ron
fjimp
Platinum Member

Incra 5000 sliding miter sled

Post by fjimp »

I have the Shopsmith version of the Incra 5000 sliding miter sled

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_M ... er5000.htm

This sled is my go to jig for miters and cross cuts that require the greatest possible accuracy. Although not cheap it has paid for itself many times over in my shop. I looked for it on the Shopsmith website and could not find it, thus the Incra website like. I will certainly follow this thread as the BT3000 looks very interesting. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
worknhard
Gold Member

Post by worknhard »

The Incra equipment is very nice. If you need to make high accuracy cuts, it looks like their product will save you time and give repeatability. When I designed the interface hardware to adapt BT3000 parts to the 510 (what I call my Shopsmith 3000) I wasn't trying to duplicate what Incra has, instead my intention was to make the 510 a much more versatile saw. Having spent many years using the BT3000 I grew very accustomed to its unique features. When I acquired a Shopsmith 510 and began using the table saw function I felt I was going backwards. Don't get me wrong, the Shopsmith indeed has lots of desirable features and is versatile, that is why I got it in the first place, however, the table saw I felt left a lot to be desired. I missed what I had with the BT3000. This is what motivated me to adapt the BT3000 components to the SS. I knew that if I could adapt the rails to the SS table I could carry over many of the other desirable features such as; smooth operating rip fence, sliding miter table, router/accessory table, folding outfeed table, etc. since their installation is designed around the rail system.
After a couple years and a couple prototypes I finally got it working the way I wanted. Here's a pic of my setup on a standard Shopsmith 510.
[ATTACH]19496[/ATTACH]
Attachments
No.2.JPG
No.2.JPG (241.04 KiB) Viewed 36316 times