Bandsaw column-post side play

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sailseahawk
Gold Member

Bandsaw column-post side play

Post by sailseahawk »

Hello,
I am having difficulty adjusting my "new to me" bandsaw. When the column is locked in place, the column has significant side to side play. The manual on page 16 discusses adjusting the nylon screw, piece 65 to fix this problem. Illustration A-13.

My saw does not have this nylon screw, nor a hole for it in part number 70. :confused: I inspected closely with flashlight and dental mirror. No signs this thing ever had such a screw.

Any ideas how to adjust? Bandsaw model is 555507, serial 050491. Not sure of age. It is gray.

Suspect I could add some sort of shim/tape inside, or drill, tap & add a nylon set screw.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Seahawk
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

I have two bandsaws. One is like yours and has no nylon screw. The other one does.

The old bandsaw has a manual dated 10/1985. The manual does not have a nylon screw in the parts breakdown. Item #65 on the old manual is part number 502554, Blade Guide Column Post.

I do not see a side-to-side play adjustment. Will look some more.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

backhertz wrote:I have two bandsaws. One is like yours and has no nylon screw. The other one does.

The old bandsaw has a manual dated 10/1985. The manual does not have a nylon screw in the parts breakdown. Item #65 on the old manual is part number 502554, Blade Guide Column Post.

I do not see a side-to-side play adjustment. Will look some more.
Some bandsaws do not have the nylon screw and in those cases there is no side to side adjustment. That's just the way it is.

That is the way it is unless you perform an undocumented modification to add the nylon screw. I think there is at least one thread that discusses that modification. I believe it was reible who did it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For some added information go to this thread and start reading, it will be 3 or 4 pages in.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=8361

The serial number is a date code 05/04/91 if that helps.

Ed
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Here are pics from the post. I am practicing uploading. Well,here goes…
[ATTACH]19709[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19710[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19711[/ATTACH]
Attachments
donebracket.jpg
donebracket.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
tap bracker.jpg
tap bracker.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
GuideBracket2.jpg
GuideBracket2.jpg (69.16 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

It worked!

One of these days I will have to modify my old bandsaw. I used to enjoy using it years ago as it cut like a hot knife through butter. But one day I was using it & had to take a bathroom break. When I returned, I simply turned the headstock back on & never noticed the speed on the headstock had been turned up to max! Well, the jokester got a big laugh as the blade shot across the basement when I turned the headstock back on to continue. Fortunately, no one was hurt. But in addition to the blade, one of the tires was destroyed.

That was about 23 years ago. I've always double checked my set ups ever since- just because.

Great job on the mod & the pics Ed! I tried looking through the old manual & found zilch on what Seahawk was looking for. I was tempted to remove the part on both bandsaws as they sure looked alike to me. But I figured someone had to have experienced this issue before.

It looks like an easy mod. I imagine Lowes or HD carries the nylon screws in their hardware area. So today I learned something, I can go relax now.
sailseahawk
Gold Member

Got it! Time to drill & Tap

Post by sailseahawk »

Thanks folks!

I suspected that mine simply did not have the adjustment, and you folks have confirmed it. I will be drilling and tapping in the morning. The side by side photos are a big help.

I'll let ya know how it works out!

Gratefully,

Seahawk
sailseahawk
Gold Member

It worked!

Post by sailseahawk »

I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 nylon bolt just like in the above photos, and it took out the side play. Getting the other adjustments was a bit "fidley", but it is done.:)

Thanks again,
Seahawk