Zero Clearance Inserts (ZCI)

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I keep a regular insert in my table. However if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of sawing I put in a Zero Clearance insert and my sharkguard upper blade guard.

I don't like to keep the ZCi in place because my blade to table alignment rarely ends up the same unless I carefully adjust for it which I don't often do when I'm busy working. I just slide the table into place lower it and start cutting. However if I have ZCi in place I must make sure my Table is full to left, the quill is completely retracted and everything lines up before I lower the ZCI over the blade.

My sharkguard catches all the chips and above table dust.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Home made ZCI is my go to when sawing. I use hardboard cutoffs, and laminate flooring (which just happens to be the perfect thickness).
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

terrydowning wrote:Home made ZCI is my go to when sawing.
Me too. Using 1/4" plywood currently. I need to setup one insert for drum sanding. I Plan to use fresh blank when I need a 45 degree bevel cut.

Using the SS insert as template for router worked well on stack of pieces ruff-cut to shape.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is a question for those who make their own table saw inserts.

Do you strive to level the insert with the table top or is a slight step (.008" to .010") between the table and the insert considered tolerable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I guess I've always been lucky and the materials I've used have always fit without issue.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I make my own ZCI's from 1/4" tempered hardboard; they work great.
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

dusty wrote:This is a question for those who make their own table saw inserts.

Do you strive to level the insert with the table top or is a slight step (.008" to .010") between the table and the insert considered tolerable.

I make mine from hardboard, and there has been a little step like you describe on a few of them. Didn't seem to hurt the cut but does mean you have to be more careful when checking the angle between blade and table since the top of the zci is then no good as a reference surface.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Couldn't you start with a slightly thicker stock and then plane it to perfect height? That is if you have a planer!
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pieceseeker wrote:Couldn't you start with a slightly thicker stock and then plane it to perfect height? That is if you have a planer!

Sometimes it is not quit that simple. In the case of my ZCI it becomes a matter of how accurately I do the setups. I do some routing/rabbeting when I make ZCI.

This image depicts the underside of a ZCI that is made from 1/2" stock. How well it fits is dependent upon how much was routed off the bottom side. The thinner areas are the result of that routing and should be a tad more that 1/4" thick (about .257").

[ATTACH]19960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19961[/ATTACH]

This is used to feed the ZCI through the router with one end against the fence. The fence is adjusted according to how deep into the end you want to cut. Four passes with a 3/4" router bit gets me to the 2 1/4" with some overlap. Flip the ZCI end for end and cut the other end.
Attachments
ZCI Pattern Dimensions (Custom).png
ZCI Pattern Dimensions (Custom).png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
ZCI, Cutting Jig (Custom).png
ZCI, Cutting Jig (Custom).png (86.26 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
transplanted
Gold Member

Post by transplanted »

[quote="algale"]There are at least 2 advantages to ZCIs. First, by supporting the workpiece all the way to the cutting edge it minimizes chip out on the bottom surface of the work piece. Second, by closing the gap, it reduces the probability of cut offs being made into projectiles because the cut off can't fall down into the blade.

On the negative side, on a Shopsmith it eliminates the ability to adjust the quill to shave a hair off of a rip cut.

I keep telling myself to make some ZCIs for my Shopsmith but just never seem to get around to it.[/QUOTE
]
Could not have said it better. ZCI's are the way to go.
My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......