Who would like to see Strong Tool Design brought back?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

If the joint-matic was in production today under the Stong Tool Design ?

The old original Strong Tool Design was better than when it sold to Delta.
44%
22%
22%
11%

Total votes: 9

cdr38
Silver Member

I will re-edit

Post by cdr38 »

robinson46176 wrote:I think the main problem was a post out of the blue from an unknown person that sounded a tiny bit like a message from the daughter of a former Nigerian Treasurer. :) :) :)
I think that is slowly clearing up now. :)

Thanks for response I see people need to know alot more history on whats going on before they can answer my question of Who would like to see the return of Strong Tool Design.
cdr38
Silver Member

Its good to have a detector but your batteries are dead!!!

Post by cdr38 »

joedw00 wrote:Like Farmer said a post out of the blue from an unknown person says he was instructed to do this. then you go over to http://lumberjocks.com/strong/blog/5610 and he posted 1630 days ago with only one response, and he explains himself a lot more than here. Sorry but my "crap detector went off".
I am answering almost all posts very few people have actually gave me a response of their opinion of the joint-matic. True I came from out of the blue and I will try to re-edit post to satisfy everyone.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

cdr38,

I have a Joint-Matic and think it's very good tool. Horizontal routing is great for making raised panels and cutting tenons, but I don't think you can manufacture, market and sell the Joint-Matic for less than MLCS's horizontal router table.

If you are looking for a tool to bring back, talk to ShopSmith about the standalone Overarm Router. There is nothing in the maketplace right now that can compete with it. You can watch Norm Abram use it at the 5:30 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDGcf9-yKM, and at the 10:00 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6LaMC1DKY

Sincerely,

Ron309753
Sincerely,

Ron309753
cdr38
Silver Member

Post by cdr38 »

letterk wrote:I had answered the other post which had been tacked onto an old thread. So I figured I might as well add my two cent to this thread, which hadn't been opened yet when I stared my reply.

I have a Joint-matic. I picked it up right before winter at a great deal. I was able to do a few box joints with it as practice, but probably wasn't using the right kind of stock. The router tended to blow out the plywood I was using. Probably need to use solid stock for better results.

That is about it for my using it so far. I've only managed not to be sick for three weeks since Thanksgiving and most of those three weeks have fallen during the coldest weather we've had so far. I have the Flu right now :( I guessing I'm going to be staying out of the workshop this entire winter.

Mine came with a 1 1/2 hp porter cable router - 690 model I believe and once you take it off the huge stand, it isn't to hard to store. The stand causes the unit to have a huge footprint. One could easily drill a couple of screws into a workbench and be fine.

Also, I mentioned it in the other thread , it appears hat MLCS, or whatever that router bit company name is has been selling knock offs with laminated plywood and plexiglass for a while. I see it advertised in one of my woodworkers magazines quite regularly. At the price they are selling, I doubt it is worth Shopsmith to start up the production lines.
When you get to feeling better let me know how you like the machine compared to equipment of today.
cdr38
Silver Member

thanks for your response

Post by cdr38 »

ryanbp01 wrote:I agree with the other respondents when it comes to answering polls. For me there is not enough information to respond. It raised some questions to me when I read this thread. Is the poster doing this on behalf of Shopsmith or a competitor? If it was from Shopsmith, fine, however I'd be more than a little bit reluctant in answering the poll if it was from a competitor. Chalk it up to brand loyalty. Who is/was Strong Tool Design? I had never heard of them before this thread. Why did the Joint-Matic go out of production? Was it because Shopsmith has the better product? I believe if the originator of the poll was more forthcoming at the beginning, the previous comments wouldn't have been made.

BPR
I see the loyalty issue, they are going to make a Strong Tool Design website and have complete information, history,pics and videos!!! Strong Tool Design was the original producer of the joint-matic and sold it to shopsmith I mistakenly said Delta sorry bout that. As far as the previous comments I do not agree. I asked a simple question there was no need for people to flip out. I may delete this thread and post a new one with a link to the website when available Thankyou!!!
cdr38
Silver Member

Thanks for your response.

Post by cdr38 »

cdr38,

I have a Joint-Matic and think it's very good tool. Horizontal routing is great for making raised panels and cutting tenons, but I don't think you can manufacture, market and sell the Joint-Matic for less than MLCS's horizontal router table.

If you are looking for a tool to bring back, talk to ShopSmith about the standalone Overarm Router. There is nothing in the maketplace right now that can compete with it. You can watch Norm Abram use it at the 5:30 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDGcf9-yKM, and at the 10:00 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6LaMC1DKY

Sincerely,

Thank you I may keep that in mind you actually gave the response I was looking for!!!

Ron309753[/QUOTE]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am not feeling any warm fuzzies after reading the 'replies' by the thread originator.

BTW deleting a thread is not possible unless you convince admin to do so!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG40504 wrote:I am not feeling any warm fuzzies after reading the 'replies' by the thread originator.

BTW deleting a thread is not possible unless you convince admin to do so!
I think we agree here.

A good way to get the thread shut down would be to try and sell the item here, something also forbidden.... most likely it would just be the post but hey who knows.

I'm predicting a curvy road ahead.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I was able to find the manual. I'll post the cover here so we all see at least that.

[ATTACH]20144[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
ScreenHunter_44 Jan. 31 00.07sc.jpg
ScreenHunter_44 Jan. 31 00.07sc.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

cdr38 wrote:cdr38,

Sincerely,

Thank you I may keep that in mind you actually gave the response I was looking for!!!

Ron309753
[/QUOTE]

Stumpy nubs did a nice set of episodes on his home-made horizontal router:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV6jBNoV ... ded#t=284s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxyPdBZ ... ded#t=113s

However, if you have the newer style OPR (the one which mounts on the shopsmith way tubes), then you basically get a jointmatic as a part of the deal. The main thing that is missing is a vertical fence. But you do get a horizontal router, a table which tilts both directions and raises/lowers, and a router which can plunge easily.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com