Need plans for tool bench under Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

prwimbush
Bronze Member

Need plans for tool bench under Shopsmith

Post by prwimbush »

I am rejuvinating a Mark V. Would appreciate plans for a wood "trough" to under ways to hold tools
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Did you Google shopsmith under storage cabinetthere are a lot of results.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Something like this?

[ATTACH]20295[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Under SS storage.pdf
(635.03 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

prwimbush wrote:I am rejuvinating a Mark V. Would appreciate plans for a wood "trough" to under ways to hold tools

The ones posted so far work on a 500, not so well on a 510 and not at all on a 520 or anything with a lift assist. I am sure I have the plans for the 500 one, if you can't find it on Google.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Were the legs and casters designed to hold all that extra weight? It would seem that it would take considerable extra effort to raise the unit and put extra stress on the casters.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The file posted by Beeg was from Hands On so I assume it passed muster re support.

The 505-520 have different table support spacing that may need to be accommodated.

I do not think I would attempt 'hanging' the shelves with them loaded.

The lift assist really interferes with this hanging design.

However it could be modified to be on casters and clearance provided where needed. By having extendable 'wings' that fold down into the inside leg cavity it could be moved with the ss.

So much for 'brain' storming!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Lathe steady

Post by charlese »

I've been thinking about building one of these storage places with different interior shelves.

The way this one is built - holding the jointer and other stuff, it should add a lot of stability to those turners wanting a steadier lathe.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

prwimbush wrote:I am rejuvinating a Mark V. Would appreciate plans for a wood "trough" to under ways to hold tools
Were you looking for a storage cabinet, or a tool tray with places to set SS accessories like a place to hang the miter gauge, a place for the drill chuck, etc. I know SS sells this. I am wanting to make something similar.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I've been considering attaching the plastic coated wire shelving. It comes in 8 foot lengths so i can cut it length and would allow saw dust and most shavings to fall through and still have ample support for tools and the design would keep round handled things from rolling off.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

benush26 wrote:I've been considering attaching the plastic coated wire shelving. It comes in 8 foot lengths so i can cut it length and would allow saw dust and most shavings to fall through and still have ample support for tools and the design would keep round handled things from rolling off.

I installed this option under one of my Mark V's. I cut mine so a steel angle iron strip with solid ends welded on were mounted under the back side of the shelf and one nut and bolt attaching the ends near the center of the legs at appropriate height. Then attached the front to the legs in two places with steel strapping tape and a nut and bolt. It even supports the 520 fence. I apologize I am not allowed in the shop at this point for taking pictures. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.