Band Saw Fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

paulmcohen wrote:The fence system has a draft adjustment feature and all the Kreg accessories fit.
Thank you for that information.

I'll give the upgrade some serious consideration.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

fjimp wrote:The Kreg resaw guide is not compaible with the shopsmith fence. The Kreg fence offers minute adjust ability and the resaw fence made resawing possible for this dummy. I seem to remember having to also replace the bandsaw table with a larger shopsmith table which is also pleasing to use. Would I buy it again yes in a heartbeat. Was it worth the investment, yes every cent. Jim
Jim,

I looked at the ad with some interest but have a question. Does the upgrade fence make it more difficult to remove the blade? I already have the larger aluminum table and recently upgraded to the dual bearing set up.

Thanks
Jack
jonesuh
Gold Member

What do you think the Kreg Fence will do for you that is not done by the standard Sho

Post by jonesuh »

I'm fairly new to wood woking & have not used the bandsaw for resawing and plan to do so on a project ---just curious if it was better/different than the shopsmith fence ----i have been pleased with the Kreg tools i have bought in the past ---thought it might be a good addition--but from the responses sounds not much different
thanks
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The Kreig re-saw fence attachment is an add-on that gives single point re-saw adjustment. You don't need a Krieg fence to get this feature. The identical feature can be home made to attach to the Shopsmith fence. All you need are a couple pieces of wood and a clamp (with a little woodworking).
[ATTACH]20449[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20450[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20451[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20452[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM1777.jpg
HPIM1777.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 836 times
HPIM1778.jpg
HPIM1778.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 835 times
re-saw_jig.jpg
re-saw_jig.jpg (125.67 KiB) Viewed 835 times
HPIM1779.jpg
HPIM1779.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 842 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Count me as a big fan of the Kreg BS fence system.
As to the resaw fixture, I never use it, don't need it, don't have blade lead, use the fence just like a rip fence.

The repeatability, accuracy, micro-adjust, easiness, solidness, are all super.

No more trouble replacing blades. Easily removed. Optional pieces not just extra parts.

Example in use: bridle joint- one fence setup, both pieces. Home in on width- if need be- in increments down to ".003. (Any finer than that is too hard to make consistent, but if all you need is within ".005, no prob., no sweat.)

Dusty- for you: if the idea of sneaking up on a cut in passes so small you can't hear 'em sounds like fun, you'd like it. Say you go for a 3/4" cut, comes out Way large, say ".767, you can take it down to ".762 (with one 'click'), check it, down another 'click', check= ".757, down another ".002 and you're there! (Caution: you have to interpolate the ".002 on the dial, about 1/16").
(Or throw caution to the winds and at the original ".767 cut dial in 2.4 'clicks' and go right to ".75). [on a band saw.]

And I love being able to break down any setup, or change a blade for something and then change back and go right to the same fence setting to continue, a week later.

Btw, if the sneaking up on a cut routine sounds tedious, imagine the old way, cut, check, loosen fence tap with push stick, mallet, workpiece, hammer, shoe, knuckle, whatever, overshoot, reset, undershooot, rehit, overshoot, reset, retry, check, and on and on if a typical day, until you either lose interest in the project, accept a 1/32" here and there, or pass out.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

keakap wrote:Count me as a big fan of the Kreg BS fence system.
Another feature I just had occasion to use, almost forgot it, is the fence 'face' itself being flexible in a way. Ripping a 9 degree bevel on edges of 20 pcs of 2-1/4 x 3/4 x 23" I wanted the most consistent cuts possible, and that usually calls for sliding the upper guide down as low as can (w/in 1/4") to steady the blade to the max. The fence face pops off and is repositioned on it's side, flat to the table, to enable that guide placement, exposing a mere 1" of blade.

Little thing, but very nice to have.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;