Just curious about something

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

The Restore here had a 10ER that sat on the floor for a long time. It was in fair shape and they were only asking $100.00 for it. I found out that they take offers. I have paid as much as 1/2 of the asking price.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Well, I don't frequent donation sites except maybe to drop off a few items once in a while. I certainly wouldn't have time to shop at one. Too bad they don't advertise. Finding a ShopSmith at one of those donation sites would seem to me to be shear luck. I guess it would be like the lottery (can't win if you don't play) where at a GoodWill it would be (won't find if you don't shop).
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
fiatben
Platinum Member

Gotta be careful when you buy things at Goodwill

Post by fiatben »

Just wanted to make sure everyone practices shop safety to the fullest with this warning about things bought at Goodwill.... :eek:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/344467
Now Pat is warning about clothing, but my machines are more important to me than my sweaters.
Just saying .... ;)

You know, sometimes it DOES seem like my machines are possessed! :D
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="fiatben"]Just wanted to make sure everyone practices shop safety to the fullest with this warning about things bought at Goodwill.... :eek:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/344467
Now Pat is warning about clothing, but my machines are more important to me than my sweaters.
Just saying .... ]

This reminds me of a poster I saw in my manager's office a long time ago.

"It has conclusively been proven that the beating of tom toms at dusk will cause the sun to rise again the next morning."

It ain't the clothing that is 'possessed'!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

letterk wrote:Habitat Restore overpriced! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Our store once in a blue moon gets plywood and sells it for a dollar a sheet when they obviously could get more. So someone shows up and buys the whole stack and then it sits for weeks until they finally can pick it up. On the other hand, they got a couple of trailers of snow blowers and were trying to sell for higher prices than on the deal sites. Selling snowblowers when it is snowing and winter is a lot easier than when the snow goes away, for their sake I hope they remember that.

Haven't seen a Shopsmith at either, but truthfully my time at Goodwill is in the donation line.
What, exactly, is a snow blower?:D :D :D
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
brick1
Gold Member

Post by brick1 »

pieceseeker wrote:Thought I would just post this question for grins and giggles.

Has anybody ever seen a used ShopSmith anything, at a Goodwill store?

Just wondering if a seller would have gotten so frustrated and given up on selling their old ShopSmith and instead took it to Goodwill and do a tax deduction for a "donation".

Just wondering......:D

I visited an estate sale in Palm Bay, Fl last summer. There sat an almost perfect ten year old model. They had 750.00 on it and it was a bit much for my budget. Then three months later I saw the same unit in a thrift store out on the beach??? had the same 50.00 sign on it. haven't been back to see if it's still there??

take care, bill

Brick1
Titusville, Florida
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I bought a 1960 Goldie 500 at a Habitat Restore with all the usual accessories and a jigsaw for 250 dollars. It was well cared for and the fellows that worked their were real excited about selling it and helped load it in my truck! (It was my second 1960 Goldie! Twins!)
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's