Poll - Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

No
36%
No
18%
No
46%

Total votes: 131

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

swampgator wrote:At $600, it would be a large strain on my civil service retirement check. I would have to save $20 per month for many months. Right now, I am hoping to save up for a 520 upgrade in a couple of years. It won't be coming out of my check, but from selling cans and wooden toys. Oh, the joy of being a retired federal worker. LOL :D
If you go to another Lowe's demo, you might want to check into the credit offer that is presented during these demonstrations. I don't think it will get the monthly down to $20 but it does make for a very tempting arrangement. I know. I have had to resist it three times now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Other concerns with PP

Post by WmZiggy »

dusty wrote:Welcome back to the forum. I hope you stick with us on an active basis. We old guys enjoy company.
Thanks, Dusty. I joined in 06 about the time my military career required a great deal of travel. I retired after 31 years last year - Air Force. I am back in my shop on a more regular basis now.

I have had another concern about the PP that comes from life long learning about new things. When flying on C130s - and I have lots of hours in that bird over deep dark oceans - I never had a worrisome moment. It is and continues to be one of the safest airplanes ever built. It has millions of air miles under it's belt making it one of the most tested, tried and true birds (at least next to the C47); sort of like the Mark V. On the other hand, look at Boeing and the problems they have had with their new "dream liner". I am lothe to buy "new and improved", at least until its been on the market a while with time to work the bugs out. Also, in the case of electronics, brain boxes, and digital push buttons, I want a sense of certainity that the company is going to be there, something time will tell concerning SS.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

WmZiggy WELCOME to the forum and THANK YOU for your service to our country.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

dusty wrote:If you go to another Lowe's demo, you might want to check into the credit offer that is presented during these demonstrations. I don't think it will get the monthly down to $20 but it does make for a very tempting arrangement. I know. I have had to resist it three times now.
If you get the special non-guaranteed to qualify long-term financing that is about $20 in interest per month. If not, than at 25% standard rate you are looking at $75 a month in interest on $4000. Yes, you may get 0% for 18 months, but if you don't get the low rate, once the 25% interest starts you'll be paying for a long-time.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I think it would be safe to say that over 1,000 of these units have been sold to date and if the members that post here on this forum, or any other forum that you can google, haven't reported a single failure of the motor or electronics, I think you can conclude that the PP is the real thing.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fredsheldon wrote:I think it would be safe to say that over 1,000 of these units have been sold to date and if the members that post here on this forum, or any other forum that you can google, haven't reported a single failure of the motor or electronics, I think you can conclude that the PP is the real thing.
Ahhh, but the 2 yr warranty is 'expiring' as we 'speak'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fredsheldon wrote:I think it would be safe to say that over 1,000 of these units have been sold to date and if the members that post here on this forum, or any other forum that you can google, haven't reported a single failure of the motor or electronics, I think you can conclude that the PP is the real thing.
There is not a single failure that we know of. That's a warm fuzzy. What we don't know could be the cold prickle. But that is the way of life in these high tech days.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

I don't have the PP, and currently no plan to get one.

I am so new to WW that last year I found myself needing to know/learn everything all at once. The slowness of my progress has been discouraging. I have accepted that I may never be really skilled at this, but in my own way and at my own speed I am learning. To dump a lot of money into an upgrade without getting a lot more productive with what I own right now would not make sense.

BTW, a new MK 7 would be smarter route for me than upgrading a30 year old Model 500 with little cost difference.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

saminmn wrote:
BTW, a new MK 7 would be smarter route for me than upgrading a30 year old Model 500 with little cost difference.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've heard if you sell all the old parts and do the DIY upgrade, you can get it for less than a grand net cost. Some have even told me less than $600 if you have an '85 or newer (double bearing quill and more hp motor)
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Back when the 510 came out I went to a demostration in Fargo. The salesman suggested I sell one of my 500's and use the money to upgrade my 1982 500. I am glad I didn't, as I like having two machines when I am working. A few years later SS was out with the 520, and now the PP. You have to start questioning the never ending treadmill of upgrades in relation to what you already have on the floor and what it will improve. I already owned a 1962 Craftsman "Sear's Best" 10" Radial arm (given to me by an uncle, and there isn't a plastic part in that saw), as well as a Ryobi 10" cabinet saw - so bigger tables on my SS was never an issue for me. Working in tandem with my other tools, the 500 still meets my needs. What I like about the PP is the quieter running motor, less vibration and reverse capability with some increased RPM options. I might upgrade my 1982 500 with PP just to get those features, but will wait to see how it does longer term.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719