milk paint

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldc6
Gold Member

milk paint

Post by oldc6 »

The wife had to have this cabinet made out of pine

She is going to paint it. Found a spray can at Menards
which is called satin.

Sprayed some with primer first on a piece of scrap.
Has to much sheen to it and does not cover very well.

I have heard of this milk paint idea. Does it cover well
and does it come out flat colored??? Never have used milk
paint before...........Thanks:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

oldc6 wrote:The wife had to have this cabinet made out of pine

She is going to paint it. Found a spray can at Menards
which is called satin.

Sprayed some with primer first on a piece of scrap.
Has to much sheen to it and does not cover very well.

I have heard of this milk paint idea. Does it cover well
and does it come out flat colored??? Never have used milk
paint before...........Thanks:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are you trying to get a satin finish, or a flat? My experience is a lot of spray paints out there are not labeled correctly. What they call satin is actually semigloss, flat is satin, matte is flat, and no one really makes a true matte in a spray bomb. Always go one step flatter than you actually want, and spray paint never covers well and always costs more by volume but its more convenient.

I never heard of milk paint but googled it. Sounds interesting, and I like that you could make it at home if you really wanted to.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Yes, milk paint will give a flat finish. Very flat. It is a little difficult to apply but if you follow the directions carefully, you can do it. It is quite durable. Oh, and did I say it gives a flat finish?
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
oldc6
Gold Member

more info

Post by oldc6 »

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [ATTACH]20616[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20617[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20618[/ATTACH]I gave up on the milk paint idea. I think it is $20.00 a quart at Rockler.

Went to local HD . They i a paint lady that everyone says
is sharp on paint stuff.

Had a sample of curtain along for color match. She ask what i was painting
on and if it was gloss, flat, etc. Told her i wanted flat. She said that would be
quite hard to clean dust off. They had flat,satin, semi-gloss and gloss.
She mixed up the satin and that is what you see in the pictures.. She said on pine I should use a tinted primer to cover well. $23.00 for primer and the paint.. It is call arcrylic latex... Easy to apply as it is like whipped cream.The picture with the shine is the spray paint from menards. did not cover well.......
Now if we could get some warmer weather the job will get done.........:) :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_2782.JPG
IMG_2782.JPG (105.38 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
IMG_2783.JPG
IMG_2783.JPG (113.72 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2785.JPG (104.4 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

oldc6, I have used milk paint many times, mainly on the Windsor chairs I make. Milk paint is called milk paint because it has a milk protein in the natural pigments that make-it-up. This protein, casein, has some wonderful qualities in terms of bonding with wood. There are 300 year old Windsor chairs out there with their original paint, many in Philadelphia Hall. Milk paint comes as a powder which you mix with water. I recommend a Mason jar. If you do not use it all at once, it will only keep for a week or so, in the refrigerator. Regardless of color you pick, it will come out flat. You can use several colors in layers, then sand to achieve certain antique effects. If you want a luster finish, I recommend a top coat of tung oil, varnish or poly, depending on what you like to work with. You can buy a top finish that will give a crackle finish like one finds on antique objects as well. Woodcraft and other better outlets carry Milk Paint.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719