10ER Return to service

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donalexander
Gold Member

10ER Return to service

Post by donalexander »

After seeing some of the beautiful restoration jobs here I decided it might be fun to take a 10ER and see if I could bring it back to life. They don't show up on Craigslist everyday here in Richmond, VA but they do occasionally and the prices are usually very "optimistic". This one was no exception.[ATTACH]20670[/ATTACH]

My recollection is they started out asking $400 and I called when the price had dropped to $250. The lady I spoke with said all she got were scams in response to the ad and said if I was serious make cash offer. Well, I'm hard to embarrass sometimes and said, "Well, if the motor runs, I'll give you $60 for it." Her response was to give me her address and to tell me to bring cash.

Well, the motor ran, so I carted the thing home (man the 10ER is heavy) and disassembled it in my garage and then took the pieces downstairs to my shop. My original intent was to strip it to bare bones and restore it from the ground up but when I got the dirt, rust, and grease off, the machine was in phenomenal shape for being 62 years old. The only two parts that were missing were the lathe drive and the saw guard. I've located and restored a saw guard for it (bringing my cost now to $70) but I have not found a lathe drive at a decent price. I'm looking at putting a NOVA chuck on it anyway and using it as a dedicated lathe.

Anyway, armed with a degreaser, phosphoric acid, and Evaporust, I cleaned it thoroughly and then lubed it. She runs very well. Here's what she looks like in the middle of my shop.[ATTACH]20671[/ATTACH]
Attachments
10ER_ad.jpeg
10ER_ad.jpeg (89.65 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
10ER_cleaned up_sm.jpg
10ER_cleaned up_sm.jpg (67.55 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Super! I need one of those! No room right now.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

It cleaned up real good. Congratulations
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Congrat! :)

I love mine-use it as dedicated drill press/drum sander
R Hart
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

Looks great Don! I've definitely got to make time to visit the Richmond "Showroom":D
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Don, very nice clean up job. Will you needto replace bearings or any other parts?

Roy
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Roy, When I bought the 10ER I figured I was in for a "labor of love" and would need to rebuild every inch of the machine, replace the bearings, the belts, the whole nine yards. Remarkably, all I've done is clean it and use it. It runs fine, so far.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
alisfair
Gold Member

10er

Post by alisfair »

think i just bought one for 190 delivered. No rust in pictures that i see. has original box with chisels too. I may be asking u fellows questions if you don't mind.
Alisfair
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

alisfair wrote:think i just bought one for 190 delivered. No rust in pictures that i see. has original box with chisels too. I may be asking u fellows questions if you don't mind.
Alisfair
Ask away!

That's what we're here for.

steve