New toy!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

derekdarling
Gold Member

New toy!

Post by derekdarling »

Went across the line down to Bellingham the other day for a number of reasons, and stopped in to Grizzly to pick up my new 4-jaw independently-adjustable, 5/8" smooth-bore chuck. Tomorrow I make the attachment to my 10ER and take it for a ride! Wanted one of these for a while now. While I can see the attraction of having the self-centering 4-jaw Nova, this strikes me as much more useful, albeit taking more care to centre. Looking forward to it, and will take pics.

Derek:cool:
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I find those independent four jaw chucks most useful for holding square stock, but they work well with round stock and retangular shapes too. What I do is run all the jaws inward until they're all touching one another and centered, and then back out each jaw the same number of turns with the key, which results in a fairly accurate centering of the stock.

The Nova-style chucks on the other hand allow you more options for holding the stock, square, round, or retangular, but also you can secure the stock using a dovetail recess, spigot, wood screw.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Derek, I'm setting my 10ER up for turning too and I'm looking at getting a chuck for the headstock so I'd love to see pictures of what you're doing.

Pennview, I've looked at the NOVA chucks and I'm a bit confused between the NOVA G3, the Super NOVA and as I recall a couple of other flavors. Any chance you know what the differences are and the advantages and disadvantages of each are?
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Don, the Super Nova is simply a bigger, heavier chuck that can handle larger sized turning. You will be fine with the Nova G3 on the 10ER or a Mark V -- it's about the right size for whatever you'd want to mount on one of these machines. Shopsmith sells the G3 and periodically puts it on sale. And, if you buy one through them, you'll get the proper "S" adapter for the Shopsmith spindle. Buying elsewhere may get you the older-style "F" adapter, which works, but some have reported that it can loosen on the spindle.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Thanks Art. I have the PSI adaptor for the 5/8" Shopsmith spindle to a 1", 8 TPI chuck (arbor?), which will take a wide variety of chucks, not just the NOVA. The adaptor is really beefy and well made, especially considering its under $15 delivered. Since I don't have a reverse option on my Shopsmith, I can't imagine the chuck can come unscrewed. The 5/8" end is just like all of the Shopsmith arbors. I'm just looking to figure out which chuck I want. I've already got the NOVA MT2 live center kit, which is another excellent deal.
Don

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

donalexander wrote:Thanks Art. I have the PSI adaptor for the 5/8" Shopsmith spindle to a 1", 8 TPI chuck (arbor?), which will take a wide variety of chucks, not just the NOVA. The adaptor is really beefy and well made, especially considering its under $15 delivered. Since I don't have a reverse option on my Shopsmith, I can't imagine the chuck can come unscrewed. The 5/8" end is just like all of the Shopsmith arbors. I'm just looking to figure out which chuck I want. I've already got the NOVA MT2 live center kit, which is another excellent deal.
If you believe this then you might want to give this thread a read.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9990

Ed
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Don, you would use the Penn State Industries adapter if you buy the Penn State Industries chuck because the chuck itself has an internal thread of 1" x 8 TPI. There are also other chucks available that have an internal thread of 1" x 8 TPI, e.g., the Grizzly G8784 or H6265, so you could use the PSI adapter with one of them.

However, the Nova G3 chuck has an internal thread of 1 1/2" x 8 TPI, so you need the appropriate Nova adapter to mount their chuck to a Shopsmith. Nova makes "F" and "S" model adapters that fit the Shopsmith, but the preferred one would be the "S" adapter.

Other manufacturers of chucks like Oneway and Vicmarc make chucks similar to the Nova chucks in that they also require their own brand adapter (insert).

Now you could buy a Nova G3 (or Oneway or Vicmarc) and buy the appropriate adapter for mounting it to a lathe spindle with a 1" x 8TPI, install it into the chuck, and then install the PSI adapter into the Nova adapter. But that doesn't make a lot of sense, and it likely adds more stress to the Shopsmith quill bearings.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Ed, I checked the PSI adaptor I received and apparently they've revised the spec on it. The set screw on mine is installed at a slight angle. I did not measure it but 3 degrees appears to a reasonable estimate.

In checking adaptor on my Shopsmith, I detected a bit of play in the spindle (independent of the adaptor). When I grasp the spindle collar in my right hand and the SPT adaptor in my left hand, and twist, there's a very small amount of play in the direction of rotation (less than a degree I imagine but you can feel it). I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Art, Hmmm. Now I need to go back and review the specs on the chucks I was looking at. My understanding was 1" x 8 TPI was a fairly common spindle size for lathe attachments and that no additional adaptor would be required. If I screwed up, it wouldn't be the first time but at $15 it sure would be one of the cheaper errors I've made. I'm not interested in having multiple adaptors between the headstock and the chuck, if I can avoid it.
Don

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

donalexander wrote:Ed, I checked the PSI adaptor I received and apparently they've revised the spec on it. The set screw on mine is installed at a slight angle. I did not measure it but 3 degrees appears to a reasonable estimate.

In checking adaptor on my Shopsmith, I detected a bit of play in the spindle (independent of the adaptor). When I grasp the spindle collar in my right hand and the SPT adaptor in my left hand, and twist, there's a very small amount of play in the direction of rotation (less than a degree I imagine but you can feel it). I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Art, Hmmm. Now I need to go back and review the specs on the chucks I was looking at. My understanding was 1" x 8 TPI was a fairly common spindle size for lathe attachments and that no additional adaptor would be required. If I screwed up, it wouldn't be the first time but at $15 it sure would be one of the cheaper errors I've made. I'm not interested in having multiple adaptors between the headstock and the chuck, if I can avoid it.
There is some small amount of play in the Mark V drive line that is normal and I believe gets greater over extended time. It comes from the coupling (#57) between the idler shaft and the quill (referred to as the Drive and Ring Assembly in a Model 510).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

donalexander wrote:Ed, I checked the PSI adaptor I received and apparently they've revised the spec on it. The set screw on mine is installed at a slight angle. I did not measure it but 3 degrees appears to a reasonable estimate.
Hi,

I'd like to believe they have fixed the issue so since you have a current version do you feel up to doing a few experiments on your adapter?

When I got mine it had a short set-screw was really loose in the "hole". This was due to using the wrong "fit" specification for the set-screw. This lead me to do several "improvements" as I had mention on the a fore mentioned thread.

My fix was to drill and tap for a standard shopsmith type set-screw and to do that at an angle that matched the standard shopsmith angle for things that mount on the shaft.

I few simple test would go a long way to knowing if this issue is fixed.

Ed