Health Insurance Premiums Going Up

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

I would agree with your statement about Canadians coming here for better care of they simply crossed the border to Michigan, Ohio, etc... but they don't. The few you find coming to the US go to places like MD Anderson or other top clinics. This further reinforces my belief that our healthcare system is completely imbalanced when it comes to access. Just because some very rich Canadians seek out highly specialized treatment at a handful of centers, doesn't mean average American can afford or has access to those places.

Fair enough point on the source of my reference, but it's far from the only one. I have not been able to find a single source that ranks US healthcare in the top of any category except trauma care.

If you are unlucky enough to suffer a severe brain injury, your out of pocket will be well over $500,000 AFTER insurance. The hospital will bill their rate, the insurance will pay peanuts, and you will be stuck with the difference. They will give you 30 days to pay, then destroy your credit for life.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Josh, you have no idea what my insurance will pay under what circumstances, nor what anyone else's will pay for that matter unless you read their insurance policies. Some may work as you describe, I know for a fact that some clearly don't, and how that would affect anyone is open to conjecture.

If you want an example of government-run care, take a look at the VA system. Here's one story: "the 64-year-old Vietnam veteran from Dayton has waited nearly four years to resolve his disability claim with the VA — and his case is one of 2.1 million still pending before the Veterans Benefits Administration. On average, it takes 262 days nationally and 278 days in Ohio to complete a veteran’s disability claim."

If you want to read the more about VA care, it's here -- http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... its/nT6SF/
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:Josh, you have no idea what my insurance will pay under what circumstances, nor what anyone else's will pay for that matter unless you read their insurance policies. Some may work as you describe, I know for a fact that some clearly don't, and how that would affect anyone is open to conjecture.

If you want an example of government-run care, take a look at the VA system. Here's one story: "the 64-year-old Vietnam veteran from Dayton has waited nearly four years to resolve his disability claim with the VA — and his case is one of 2.1 million still pending before the Veterans Benefits Administration. On average, it takes 262 days nationally and 278 days in Ohio to complete a veteran’s disability claim."

If you want to read the more about VA care, it's here -- http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/national-govt-politics/veterans-can-wait-years-for-benefits/nT6SF/
I agree with you completely BUT the problems at the VA are not the same as those throughout the rest of the US medical care system.

The VA problem, in my experienced opinion, is strictly a matter of gross mismanagement and lack of empathy on the the part of the VA staff. The facilities and technologies are there they just do not get used effectively.

The severe backlog at the VA may be a staffing problem but if the Government was really concerned they could resolve this problem while reducing the unemployment problem simultaneously by hiring administrative staff.

Spend just one day at a VA facility, talking with the many patients that will be sitting in the lobbies and you will understand. While doing this, pay attention to those staff members who go on break and note when they come back.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

pennview wrote:Josh, you have no idea what my insurance will pay under what circumstances, nor what anyone else's will pay for that matter unless you read their insurance policies. Some may work as you describe, I know for a fact that some clearly don't, and how that would affect anyone is open to conjecture.

If you want to read the more about VA care, it's here -- http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... its/nT6SF/

I'll agree with all of that. My concern is when any family has to choose between getting destroyed by an illness vs. getting destroyed by medical bills. The current system works well for a lot of people, but it also doesn't work for a lot of people who have done exactly what they were supposed to. There are many people who paid their premium only to have it cancelled when they needed it most, and as a result died unnecessarily.

It's a travesty how the government treats out vets. The VA should be a shining example of quality healthcare. While I feel everyone should get tax-funded healthcare, the vets deserve it more than anyone. I also believe that if someone serves in combat, they and their immediate family should have free, quality healthcare for life. This should include mental health.

I don't think any country has healthcare just right. There are many better than the US and many worse. What I do know is that as long as politicians are involved...we are screwed.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have an observation on VA care. A very good friend of mine needed a heart valve replacement. Here in Tampa we have a major VA hospital and in that hospital my friend received fantastic care. The surgery was done by the leading cardiac surgeon of the city and his treatment was as good as any hospital.

However I did observe and extraordinary number of people (patients) hanging around the hospital. In fact very chair or place to sit was in use. There were tons of veterans in wheelchairs in the halls and sidewalks.

Having been around all the major hospitals in Tampa I have never seen so many patients in public areas before. I asked and was told that many have nothing else so they come almost daily claiming this problem or that and hang out. Most talk to others and share stories but some just sit and watch people come in and out of the hospital.

In my buddies case he was in and out and his total cost $250 for an operation if done on someone without VA coverage would be $100,000+

Plus he gets all his meds for free, which is another huge huge savings.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

The government, i.e., Obama and the Democrats, should have fixed what didn't work -- folks that couldn't AFFORD health insurance and those with pre-existing conditions, etc. -- and left the rest of the EXCELLENT U.S. health care system alone. We now have 17,000 and counting pages of rules and regulations covering everyone under the not-so Affordable Care Act.

Here's another example of how the government works. Tours of the White House have been cancelled because of insufficient funds, but the government has no problem paying for Vice President Biden visiting Paris for one night and London the next and getting a bill for about $1,000,000 for two nights in a hotel.

Washington is out of control!
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:The government, i.e., Obama and the Democrats, should have fixed what didn't work -- folks that couldn't AFFORD health insurance and those with pre-existing conditions, etc. -- and left the rest of the EXCELLENT U.S. health care system alone. We now have 17,000 and counting pages of rules and regulations covering everyone under the not-so Affordable Care Act.

Here's another example of how the government works. Tours of the White House have been cancelled because of insufficient funds, but the government has no problem paying for Vice President Biden visiting Paris for one night and London the next and getting a bill for about $1,000,000 for two nights in a hotel.

Washington is out of control!
I agree that the Government spends far too much money gallivanting around the world (both on business and vacation) but let us not exaggerate. The million dollars was spent paying for a cadre of people (some of whom probably should have been left home) not just the President and Vice President.

What we all need to acknowledge is that health care is just a very small part of what the President wants to happen. The President is very successfully growing the Government to a point where the Government will have total control. Glenn Beck used to harp on this all the time and I just turned him off. The President is getting exactly what he wants, socialized medicine with all of its faults and Government control of almost everything else (education, transportation, health and welfare, environmental protection, the treasury, the Congress).

If you doubt this, wait to see what happens at the mid-term. If the Republicans lose control of the House - it is all over.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Josh, you're fighting the good fight. Others of us have been there and given up. It just gets disheartening when you point out verifiable errors, but there's no acknowledgement or even a decent counter.

I'm sure the folks on the other side are good people. They might even give us the shirts off their backs. But these frustrating arguments lead to less-than-charitable emotions, in me at least. That's why it was nice while the political truce still held. I don't want to feel negatively toward anyone on this forum.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

As I have said many times here before, let's see how things look in 4 years. I have a feeling things will look much better. I suggested the stock market was going to break 14,000 sometime this year, which is an indicator of the health of businesses. I would have never guessed that it would hit 15,000 or maybe even 16,000 by the end of the year. Only time will tell as to where it will be in 4 more years. :) I believe the current administration is trying to make things better, but I'm not sure they are getting all the assistance they could be getting in their efforts. Time to go turn another bowl in case I need to sell it to feed my family.:D
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I have an observation on VA care. A very good friend of mine needed a heart valve replacement. Here in Tampa we have a major VA hospital and in that hospital my friend received fantastic care. The surgery was done by the leading cardiac surgeon of the city and his treatment was as good as any hospital.

However I did observe and extraordinary number of people (patients) hanging around the hospital. In fact very chair or place to sit was in use. There were tons of veterans in wheelchairs in the halls and sidewalks.

Having been around all the major hospitals in Tampa I have never seen so many patients in public areas before. I asked and was told that many have nothing else so they come almost daily claiming this problem or that and hang out. Most talk to others and share stories but some just sit and watch people come in and out of the hospital.

In my buddies case he was in and out and his total cost $250 for an operation if done on someone without VA coverage would be $100,000+

Plus he gets all his meds for free, which is another huge huge savings.
Ed I appreciate your story but must add that my own brother is and has been a victim of the VA care for many years. We have visited him there and come away feeling like veterans are treated in a manner something worse than dogs. For every positive example there are at least that many negative stories. I am biting my tongue trying to stay out of this discussion. For some 30 years I earned my living from health insurance. Watching how the democratic party has assailed an already broken system and turned it to a worse mess intentionally makes me sad. Worse yet is where they are taking us in the future. For those who like the new system good for you. I wonder if and when you will awaken to the real facts of life. This being all I will say. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.