Jointer teardown and cleanup

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Jointer teardown and cleanup

Post by pieceseeker »

Hi all, starting to clean up some of my aquired loot. This is the start of cleaning up the jointer. I've already cleaned up the belt sander fence and bandsaw table to stop anymore rust to those items. Thought I would take pics and maybe have some questions along the way.

[ATTACH]20689[/ATTACH]
Not horrible rust, but rust non-the-less.

[ATTACH]20688[/ATTACH]
Not very difficult so far. I wonder what the extra 2 holes next to the 2 where the jointer knife drum is attached?

[ATTACH]20686[/ATTACH]
Going to be using EvapoRust to clean the rust. The longest piece is 22 inches long, so had to find a flat bottom square tub big enough.

Only able to use 1 gallon of solution (EvapoRust is not cheap), so the level is rather shallow. The large pieces can't be totally submerged, so will need to be turned for another soaking.

Did the same process with the Bandsaw table:
[ATTACH]20685[/ATTACH]
Hoping the Jointer surfaces come out as well.

What is you're best way of waxing tables and surfaces? I found on tables, that I can apply a heavy coat of JPW and then let it completely dry before buffing out. It seems to work good, and I think it will provide a thicker coat of rust protection and lubrication for the different working surfaces.

Watching the Sawdust Sessions, anytime Nick used JPW, he would immediately wipe and buff. That may be OK for crome or zinc surfaces, but the tables seem to hold alot of wax with the grind pattern.
Attachments
Bandsaw table 4.jpg
Bandsaw table 4.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
Jointer 2.jpg
Jointer 2.jpg (155.92 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
Jointer 3.jpg
Jointer 3.jpg (157.59 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
Jointer disassembled.jpg
Jointer disassembled.jpg (149.73 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Jointer 1.jpg
Jointer 1.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

[ATTACH]20690[/ATTACH]
small parts.... some of them will need cleaning by hand

[ATTACH]20692[/ATTACH]
Might as well make good use of the extra space in the Vapo bath.

[ATTACH]20691[/ATTACH]
Letting it set overnight and work on it in the morning
Attachments
Jointer small parts.jpg
Jointer small parts.jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Jointer in the vapo bath.jpg
Jointer in the vapo bath.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
drill bits.jpg
drill bits.jpg (163.41 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

Looks like a great start...I just did this to my jointer...but I didn't have the rust issue.

Make sure to clean the bearing surfaces on the indeed and out feed tables... I used jpw on these sliding surfaces and then hit them with a light dusting of graphite. I also applied graphite to the treads on the adjustment screw.

As far as waxing the tables, I applied jpw and then buffed it right off. About a week afterwards right before I put the reground knives in I plan on doing it again...just for fun. :D

Good luck

Geo
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Yea, those bearing surfaces will get the bath when I turn the pieces over to soak, and I'll be sure to give them a good coat of JPW.

I'm also waxing the painted surfaces of the tables, it will give them a nice sheen.

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Anybody ever replace those bearings in the cutterhead? Looks tricky!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pieceseeker wrote:Anybody ever replace those bearings in the cutterhead? Looks tricky!

I attempted to and ended up replacing the cutter head with a new one that came complete with bearings. I bent the shaft in the cutter head while attempting to remove bearings..

With that experience, I shall decline giving any advice. The cutter head is not cheap.

Properly equipped, it seems like a simple task.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

dusty wrote:I attempted to and ended up replacing the cutter head with a new one that came complete with bearings. I bent the shaft in the cutter head while attempting to remove bearings..

With that experience, I shall decline giving any advice. The cutter head is not cheap.

Properly equipped, it seems like a simple task.
I have access to a press and many different bearing pullers at my work. I may take a closer look once I'm done with cleaning and waxing.

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

My progress today!

[ATTACH]20706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20707[/ATTACH]

That amazing EvapoRust takes a lot of the work out of rust removal. A little elbow grease with a stainless steel brush from Harbor Freight after soaking for several hours really does the trick! It does no harm to paint, easy cleanup, non toxic, what more could you ask?
Attachments
Jointer cleaned.jpg
Jointer cleaned.jpg (142.53 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
Drills and blades cleaned.jpg
Drills and blades cleaned.jpg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 4701 times

donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Wow! That looks great...as in better than my jointer looked new. Wow!
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

Wow! I second that! The indeed/out feed looks absolutely stunning!

Nicely done...

Geo