LJ Table Saw Posting

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tgamel wrote:Yea, just got back from looking over there, just a little over 30 posts before they started getting nasty. I have been on sites like that before when I was looking to get my first Shopsmith. The amount of loathing many expressed for the SS mainly for it's small table when used as a table saw kinda made me smile after I found that many of the so called 'professional carpenters' that were really bashing the SS, used small portable table saws on the job site that have tables that are the same size or smaller than the SS. Oh the irony of ignorance that a closed mind will exhibit.
I didn't find anyone over there really "bashing the Shopsmith". Many of the LJs have opinions of the Shopsmith that we might not want to hear but that is to be expected. They all love the equipment that they have selected and paid good money for.

Furthermore, for those who make their living doing wood working, the Shopsmith is probably not the right tool for them. For me (and many of us here) the Shopsmith is the perfect tool. It fits well in my small shop and it affords me some power tool features that I might not otherwise have access to.

The table saw, probably more than any other wood working tool, out of necessity must come in many different forms. What is good for one wood worker is not good for all.

STOP Think about it. What sort of table saw most likely satisfies the "real needs: of:

A cabinet maker

A flooring contractor

A framing contractor

A finish carpenter

A roofer

A toy maker

A fence contractor

A DIYer

Each one has a different set of "real needs". In some cases those needs can be satisfied only with a specific tool. In some cases one tool will do it all.

Each and every one needs to ask of themselves "Why do I need/want a table saw"? Do I really need a Unisaw or can I do what I do on a Mark V or a contractor saw or the band saw or a circular saw or a hand saw or a coping saw.

Probably no two of us would answer these questions the same.

MrHart: Have you determined what you really need/want? BTW, I enjoyed your excursion over on LJ.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

MrHart: Have you determined what you really need/want? BTW, I enjoyed your excursion over on LJ.[/quote]

My opinion is all I know. I "think" I want a dedicated table saw sometimes because I get frustrated with adjustments on the SS. And the height makes me feel like I'm working with my elbows in the air to feel safe. I "think" I want a cast tabelsaw like the Rigid or Jet with a "good" fence and miter. I like the feel of how beefy and solid they feel when I mess with one at WC. Right now space and always money seem to be the issue. Mommy says thumbs up if I feel safer, but space is the issue. I have a master shop plan on an excel page, but it involves me switching sides of the garage completely which will be alot of work. I love my ER as a drill press/drum sander, My 54 as a bandsaw/disk sand-lathe, and my 88 for the jointer/tablesaw functions (and actually like turning more on this one than the 54). With the pro-planer I got a couple months ago, it's wonderful to just go to, and use with no set up. My master shop plan is centered around a dedicated tablesaw, and I think I could utilze my 88 for the Dadonator one day.
I watch craigs list all the time, just waiting for the right time and model I guess.
It's my "opinion", that my perfect shop is a harmony of all that is SS with a nice Table saw, a miter saw and my drool Kreg router table set up.
I've thought that once the table saw was secured, the workbench could be made the same height for an outfeed table, and that would be the best bet. I've also thought of making a small section of my work bench (maybe in the middle on the opposite side as the vise) have a removable piece, where once you lift it out, a premounted mitersaw can fall in the hole, and build it so it would keep the miter saw surface flush with the work bench top. Boom instant miter saw station and its removable.

Sorry for the ramble

I am prepared for judgement....:cool:
R Hart
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mrhart wrote:MrHart: Have you determined what you really need/want? BTW, I enjoyed your excursion over on LJ.

My opinion is all I know. I "think" I want a dedicated table saw sometimes because I get frustrated with adjustments on the SS. And the height makes me feel like I'm working with my elbows in the air to feel safe. I "think" I want a cast tabelsaw like the Rigid or Jet with a "good" fence and miter. I like the feel of how beefy and solid they feel when I mess with one at WC. Right now space and always money seem to be the issue. Mommy says thumbs up if I feel safer, but space is the issue. I have a master shop plan on an excel page, but it involves me switching sides of the garage completely which will be alot of work. I love my ER as a drill press/drum sander, My 54 as a bandsaw/disk sand-lathe, and my 88 for the jointer/tablesaw functions (and actually like turning more on this one than the 54). With the pro-planer I got a couple months ago, it's wonderful to just go to, and use with no set up. My master shop plan is centered around a dedicated tablesaw, and I think I could utilze my 88 for the Dadonator one day.
I watch craigs list all the time, just waiting for the right time and model I guess.
It's my "opinion", that my perfect shop is a harmony of all that is SS with a nice Table saw, a miter saw and my drool Kreg router table set up.
I've thought that once the table saw was secured, the workbench could be made the same height for an outfeed table, and that would be the best bet. I've also thought of making a small section of my work bench (maybe in the middle on the opposite side as the vise) have a removable piece, where once you lift it out, a premounted mitersaw can fall in the hole, and build it so it would keep the miter saw surface flush with the work bench top. Boom instant miter saw station and its removable.

Sorry for the ramble

I am prepared for judgement....:cool:[/quote]

Not a ramble. Sounds like a plan.

I understand your feelings regarding table height. I plan to lower mine. I am 5'6" and I too am somewhat uncomfortable working at near chest height. I realize that every time I watch Nick on the Sawdust Session.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

I also have a master plan (somewhere in my head). Over the weekend I was reviewing the "state of the shop". It occured to me as I was looking things over that a little over two years ago I decided that I needed to downsize from a bunch of seperate machines and I started looking at Shopsmith as an alternative. Short version is I now have a nice collection of Shopsmith equipment and more room in the main portion of the shop. The garage serves as the other section. I have added a new early '80s version of a Craftsman contractor saw and a small, portable power miter station to that equipment. The old Delta contractors saw, the old bench mounted 6" belt sander and a 4" jointer still need to move to the oldest son's house. The 12" RAS, 6" Craftsman jointer, the Craftsman bandsaw, a jig saw have all moved out via Craigslist to good homes. Life is getting simpler.

I like having the Shopsmith table saw close at hand for smaller projects but also like having the larger table saw for larger items. I think that is okay and it works well for me. No reason to get upset, all shops are good. There is no right answer.........I don't think.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mgbbob wrote: . . .

There is no right answer.........I don't think.

Bob
Tis a personal 'need' thing. As long as I 'have a way' to do something, I be content.;) Sometimes there are 'challenges', but I usually 'get er done'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

dusty wrote:I understand your feelings regarding table height. I plan to lower mine. I am 5'6" and I too am somewhat uncomfortable working at near chest height. I realize that every time I watch Nick on the Sawdust Session.
I am 6'4" and find the table height for sawing just right. Don't worry though, payback happens when I do lathe turning and end up walking around for two days hunched over. :)
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

mrhart wrote: I've also thought of making a small section of my work bench (maybe in the middle on the opposite side as the vise) have a removable piece, where once you lift it out, a premounted mitersaw can fall in the hole, and build it so it would keep the miter saw surface flush with the work bench top. Boom instant miter saw station and its removable.
Do you mind if I "borrow" that idea?
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

frank81 wrote:Do you mind if I "borrow" that idea?

I think thats why we're all here :)
R Hart