Jointer teardown and cleanup

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Finally started joiner re-assembly this week.

[ATTACH]21665[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21666[/ATTACH]

Assembly when very smooth and easy. Now, with the fence quadrant, that was a different story.

When I locked down the lateral adjustment (quadrant to fence mounting bar), the fence rose about 3/8 to 1/2 inch proud of the infeed table!

After searching past threads dealing with this issue, it was obvious that the quadrant was bent.

Well, took the quadrant and mounting bar to work with me today. Used the 20 ton press and put er back in shape. A little fine tuning with a small flat file finished it off. I left the fit kind of snug but moveable.

[ATTACH]21667[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21669[/ATTACH]

After re-attaching the bar, quadrant, and fence, I now have no lift on the far end of the fence. Right or wrong, it's far better than it was.

Make mental note....another SS step to observe when done with the Jointer...unlock lateral fence adjuster! May very well allow the quadrant to last longer before another rebend. :D
Attachments
Jointer assembled.jpg
Jointer assembled.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Jointer assembled 2.jpg
Jointer assembled 2.jpg (114.83 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Quadrant redo.jpg
Quadrant redo.jpg (126.84 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Quadrant redo 2.jpg
Quadrant redo 2.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Quadrant redo 3.jpg
Quadrant redo 3.jpg (141.62 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pieceseeker wrote:Finally started joiner re-assembly this week.

[ATTACH]21665[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21666[/ATTACH]

Assembly when very smooth and easy. Now, with the fence quadrant, that was a different story.

When I locked down the lateral adjustment (quadrant to fence mounting bar), the fence rose about 3/8 to 1/2 inch proud of the infeed table!

After searching past threads dealing with this issue, it was obvious that the quadrant was bent.

Well, took the quadrant and mounting bar to work with me today. Used the 20 ton press and put er back in shape. A little fine tuning with a small flat file finished it off. I left the fit kind of snug but moveable.

[ATTACH]21667[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21669[/ATTACH]

After re-attaching the bar, quadrant, and fence, I now have no lift on the far end of the fence. Right or wrong, it's far better than it was.

Make mental note....another SS step to observe when done with the Jointer...unlock lateral fence adjuster! May very well allow the quadrant to last longer before another rebend. :D
I think keeping the gorilla off the handle will suffice!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Yea, I know about gorillas. We have a few at work when they're using the brake lath. Things just don't need to be that tight!
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I believe that the gorilla is getting a bum rap. I too have had a deformed quadrant and I do not crank down hard on the locking handle and never have.

BTW, your jointer looks to be brand new except for some scratches where the fence rides.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I believe that the gorilla is getting a bum rap. I too have had a deformed quadrant and I do not crank down hard on the locking handle and never have.

BTW, your jointer looks to be brand new except for some scratches where the fence rides.

Very likely since I also consider the soft aluminum to be a deficiency in the part. That said, I also think a conscious effort to resist over tightening it will go a long way to prevent the back opening up.

I know in the past I have acted like a gorilla with that clamp. No more!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange