Dust collection for my Greenie

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

yellowbug
Gold Member

Dust collection for my Greenie

Post by yellowbug »

Just finished my dust collection for my Greenie.
Got the idea from Woodcraft magazine June/July issue.

Works great
Attachments
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG (50.32 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG (54.12 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Covered in sawdust
Bill
Olean,NY

Support our Troops

Shopsmith Mark V Greenie,Craftsmans 10" table & Radial arm saws, 12" band saw, Rockwell 6"x48" belt sander,Drill press, Ridgid 13"planner, oscillating belt/spindle sander.
burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

Looks interesting...how effective is it. I have tried many things with my SS and none have been as effective as I would like. This is similar to a couple of things that I did and too much ended up on the floor in every case. Still looking for a solution.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

burkhome wrote:Looks interesting...how effective is it. I have tried many things with my SS and none have been as effective as I would like. This is similar to a couple of things that I did and too much ended up on the floor in every case. Still looking for a solution.
This is a very subjective situation. Your "too much" and my "too much" are almost certainly two different amounts.

I am resigned to the fact that when I make sawdust and chips I am going to have to use a broom.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Has anyone ever tried a very large funnel connected to the vac sys and move or adjust the funnel to catch the largest amount of chips falling down? With lathe work, you may need to make the funnel large enough to stand in. :D

I think Dusty has it right, you'll just have to sweep. Maybe its a little less trouble anyway and its good exercise!

Very nice Greenie BTW!
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

pieceseeker wrote:Has anyone ever tried a very large funnel connected to the vac sys and move or adjust the funnel to catch the largest amount of chips falling down? With lathe work, you may need to make the funnel large enough to stand in. :D

I think Dusty has it right, you'll just have to sweep. Maybe its a little less trouble anyway and its good exercise!

Very nice Greenie BTW!
See my little gulp system here:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=10012

It is not only for pens anymore and it works pretty well for small turnings that I have done. Have yet to try it for longer work pieces where it will have to move along with the cutting.

Here is another place to have a look at it:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12783

As you can see the larger chips gather but the finer dust gets sucked up. When the mass of chips get large enough it gets gulped up. I'm going to give a wax job to see if that will make amount of chips staying in the funnel less.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

yellowbug wrote:Just finished my dust collection for my Greenie.
Got the idea from Woodcraft magazine June/July issue.

Works great
I like what you've have done. I no longer get any magazines so I miss out on seeing project like this, so thanks for sharing.

Seems like a floor level gated collection point could be added so the remaining bits on the floor could be swept into and collected in short order.

Ed
yellowbug
Gold Member

Post by yellowbug »

Thanks to all, I only use it when I'm sanding, gave up on trying to suck the flying chips, need a jet engine for that. The only thing I'm going to do is move the blower unit down to eliminate the elbows.
Covered in sawdust
Bill
Olean,NY

Support our Troops

Shopsmith Mark V Greenie,Craftsmans 10" table & Radial arm saws, 12" band saw, Rockwell 6"x48" belt sander,Drill press, Ridgid 13"planner, oscillating belt/spindle sander.
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

dusty wrote:This is a very subjective situation. Your "too much" and my "too much" are almost certainly two different amounts.

I am resigned to the fact that when I make sawdust and chips I am going to have to use a broom.
Excellent point and raises the question - what do you want out of your dust collection system? Most tools I own that have the dust collection bag on them seem pretty worthless as the shop still gets covered in sawdust. But I can tell when they are full because I start sneezing "organic" MDF. So I've adjsuted my threshhold to I want to be able to breath, see the work piece, and not get so much in the air it gets in the house.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

This thread discusses my issues and solution. I have found it's the best I can do considering most of the chips/shavings tend to fly towards the turner.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12354
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

burkhome wrote:Looks interesting...how effective is it. I have tried many things with my SS and none have been as effective as I would like. This is similar to a couple of things that I did and too much ended up on the floor in every case. Still looking for a solution.
I have a 4 inch system with some moveable 2 1/2" hook ups. I bought a table saw hood from Rockler ( item #88460) that will lay on the lower tubular ways with the 4" outlet between them with a hose that reduces to a 2 1/2" plug-in. You can move this hood back and forth where your turning. I still have to use a broom, nothing is perfect. However, it's not the bigger chips that are harmful, just messy. My understanding is you want to limit the particles you can't see and are most dangerous to one's lungs.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719