Are You Smater Than a 5th Grader - or Your Dog

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Are You Smater Than a 5th Grader - or Your Dog

Post by db5 »

Are you smarter than . . .

There was a very dull TV show titled “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader” which expected adults to compete with 5th graders on questions that 5th graders had just learned and adults hadn’t thought about for 20-40 years. It was simply dumb entertainment (if you had a room temperature IQ) and nothing else.

But, are your smarter that a three year old – or your dog?

As a graduate student in Psychology in the early ‘70s I had a required course titled “Learning Theory” wherein the concept of shaping behavior was presented. This was something that psychologists had discovered, probably through federally funded grants, but which your grandparents, dogs and even rats (the latter two being the subject of the research) have instinctively known.

Shaping behavior works like this: Start with a gentile nudge in the direction you want the subject (dog, human, horse, etc.) to go and when there is a response that is in that direction reinforce it. Do this repeatedly, daily and never give up. As the subject moves closer to the direction you want continue with praise and reward. These are not really necessary (the psychologists assumed they were because that’s what they did).

My dog neither praises nor rewards me but she has learned to shape my behavior. Here’s how it works:

While I was at the computer she came in and barked, once. I ignored her so she barked once again. I turned and invited her onto my lap and she accepted my invitation and checked out the keyboard and desk. This occurred several times and I thought that whenever she barked she wanted in my lap. Not so. She later refused to do so. When she barks and I turn my chair and invite her to jump into my lap she turns and runs a few paces away. The message is clear: “Follow me.”

I’ve followed her a few times and she has invited me to play, which I sometimes do and which reinforces her behavior in shaping mine to do what she wants when she calls. Now she barks once and if I ignore her it is two barks, then three until I acknowledge her. She invites me to follow her and play. If I turn back to the computer and ignore her she starts again. The message is clear, “Hey, I’m talking to you; listen up.” And I do; not always. If I continue to ignore here she will leave briefly to return and try again. Unlike some parents who have recalcitrant children, she persists until she has shaped my behavior to comply with her desires.

How is it that the techniques I learned in the graduate Psych course on shaping behavior are exactly the same techniques that my dog uses on me? Not only is my dog smarter than a 5th grader but also she is smarter than the Ph.D. Psych researchers who were paid big bucks to discover this through their research. They could have observed any dog or three-year-old child (who uses the same techniques) to learn how shaping behavior occurs.
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

I read a book (no longer in print, but available in pdf form from the CIA's website) called "The Psychology of Intelligence Analysis." It's not a light read if anyone is considering it, takes lots of focus. But, my dog no longer plays me like a fiddle. It's great for reading other's behavior, and then of course using that info to shape their behavior more effectively.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

:) :rolleyes: :D ;) :p
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="fredsheldon"]:) :rolleyes: :D ]

That reply is almost as wild as yer avatar!:D:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

JPG40504 wrote:That reply is almost as wild as yer avatar!:D:cool:
Don't knock it, I won first place at the Annual Parrothead Party :eek:
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fredsheldon wrote:Don't knock it, I won first place at the Annual Parrothead Party :eek:

I was not knocking it!:cool: I like it!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

fredsheldon wrote:Don't knock it, I won first place at the Annual Parrothead Party :eek:
In my next life, I will own a very cool WWII-vintage radial-engine seaplane just like Jimmy Buffet's. Except that it will have a Mickey-D style polished ShopSmith on it, which will be used to make gorgeous things from exotic tropical hardwoods. But only after I have become bored with watching the lovely tanned young ladies frolick in the tropical lagoon.

The tropical hardwood trees could be safe for a very long time. :D
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:In my next life, I will own a very cool WWII-vintage radial-engine seaplane just like Jimmy Buffet's. Except that it will have a Mickey-D style polished ShopSmith on it, which will be used to make gorgeous things from exotic tropical hardwoods. But only after I have become bored with watching the lovely tanned young ladies frolick in the tropical lagoon.

The tropical hardwood trees could be safe for a very long time. :D
You'll need a pilot to fly your really-cool-plane and a bartender to mix drinks to attract the lovely ladies in the tropical lagoon. Today is your lucky day. I am qualified on both counts (pilot and bartender) plus I can share in your appreciation of the young ladies frolicking. Let me know when we leave. My salary is negotiable, but if you can afford the plane, you can afford me too.:D

As an added bonus, I can keep the ShopSmith polished, which in the salt air and tropical environment, will be more work than you'll want to take on. Without a doubt it would interfere with your proclivity for watching young ladies tan. And if you ever actually find a use for the machine, I can actually assist you with your projects.

Like I said, today is your lucky day. Just tell me when we depart so I can tell Wife when her lucky day is.:cool:
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

donalexander wrote: I am qualified on both counts (pilot and bartender)
If ever there was a need for segregation of duties, I think this is it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:If ever there was a need for segregation of duties, I think this is it.

Rule one when purveying alcohol - Do not imbibe 'on the job'!;)

Now if the commercial pilots would follow that(and during the preceding 12 hours!). :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝