New camera ideas?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

New camera ideas?

Post by ryanbp01 »

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good digital camera? I'm looking to spend around $130.
BPR
Mr Mac
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Mac »

Either Canon's PowerShot, Sony's CyberShot and the Nikon Coolpix are all excellent cameras in that price range.
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
James 3:17
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

Nikon's lenses are better than any other on the market.
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

joshh wrote:Nikon's lenses are better than any other on the market.

That include ones on the 130$ camera models?

Betcha Canon would disagree!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

Can of wormrs, can of worms
I have a Nikon S560, 10mpixel, 5x zoom. I love it. The first one survived my sons photo class in high school but is dying a slow death. I found a $30 replacement on ebay. Old tech but still good.

I alsohave Fujifilm S2800 14mpixel with a 18x optical zoom that I like. It gets some bad reviews but my pictures are great. A bit more money but less that the big boys. The movies are really good.

Lots of good stuff out there. Pick what you like and be happy.
danscot
Gold Member

Post by danscot »

Mr Mac is spot on - you won't go wrong with any of those. I've long since given up being surprised by the quality my wife gets from her little Canon. Best bet is draw up a short list and take a look at them in your local camera store. Pick the one that you feel comfortable with. (But if you do that be sure to buy from them too - don't then go buy from a cheap web supplier!! :eek: )

Lenses on the low cost cameras are computer designed &manufactured to reasonable tolerances so lenses should be similar quality - pretty darn good for the price!

The same applies to higher end lenses too - Nikon and Canon are as good as each other (although both have a few stand outs in their range)
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

I have a Canon SX10IS that is great... But take most photos with my I phone ... Apps make it work well.
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Anything beyond 10 mega pixels is hype. You won't notice any difference unless you are really enlarging something so it is BIG. Look on eBay for some cameras. Get one that has Lithium batteries (you want 2) and at least a 4gb card (you can pick up an extra one cheaply). Do you want a viewfinder (like on old style cameras) as well as the screen on the back? The advantage is that in bright light you can actually see what you are trying to capture.

I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ4 (8.1 mp) and can't tell any difference in quality from my very expensive 12 mp SLR. You can pick these up cheaply on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-TZ4-8-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/100168348

Paid $75 with 2 batteries and two memory cards, a charger and all the cables with a leather case.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:Anything beyond 10 mega pixels is hype. You won't notice any difference unless you are really enlarging something so it is BIG. Look on eBay for some cameras. Get one that has Lithium batteries (you want 2) and at least a 4gb card (you can pick up an extra one cheaply). Do you want a viewfinder (like on old style cameras) as well as the screen on the back? The advantage is that in bright light you can actually see what you are trying to capture.

I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ4 (8.1 mp) and can't tell any difference in quality from my very expensive 12 mp SLR. You can pick these up cheaply on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-TZ4-8-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/100168348

Paid $75 with 2 batteries and two memory cards, a charger and all the cables with a leather case.
A prerequisite IMHO!!! Through the lense type ONLY. i.e. second 'mini' screen.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I have a Nikon D5000 with extra telephoto lens which sits in a bag on my desk most of the time because I use my phone to take most of my pictures. I can't get over the quality of the pictures that come from the phone. My phone also is my primary GPS device.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.