Menard

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Menard

Post by lv2wdwrk »

Has anyone ever heard of a Menard? There is one for sale on local craigslist. Seller says "This is just like like a ShopSmith and was made by ShopSmith in the 80"s for Menard and Harbor Freight." I have never heard anything about it. Any information appreciated.
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
billmayo
Platinum Member

Menard

Post by billmayo »

I have not heard of Shopsmith making any items for Menard or Harbor Freight. I would believe they are knock-offs from overseas. Therefore, I would take a calpier/ruler with you if interested. First, measure the way & bench tubes size and distance apart, maintable leg size and distance apart, tailstock tube size and distance apart and the arbor and quill housing sizes on a Shopsmith. Then the same measurements on the Menard, So far, I find very little from a Total Shop (overseas knock-off) will fit the Shopsmith or vise versa.
lv2wdwrk wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a Menard? There is one for sale on local craigslist. Seller says "This is just like like a ShopSmith and was made by ShopSmith in the 80"s for Menard and Harbor Freight." I have never heard anything about it. Any information appreciated.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I looked to buy a Shopsmith one time that had a Menard jointer on it. The jointer was a 6 inch jointer unlike the 4 inch jointer that Shopsmith built. I also believe that it is a knock off, but I do know that the jointer would mount on the Shopsmith.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I would think that if you need any part. Your OUT of LUCK.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

The only "Menard" I know of is a store called Menard's.

BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is a thread here on the forum where Shopsmith lookalikes (whatabees) were discussed. One of those mentioned was a Menard.

I'll attempt to locate it and will re-post if I find it. There were photos attached and it did resemble a Mark V.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Shopsmith making a tool for Harbor Freight. Now thats funny LOL!!!!! Hey! I think that $99 sliding miter saw is made by Festool just painted orange. LOL!!!

wvthomas
Silver Member

Another Menards?

Post by wvthomas »

Saw this on Craigslist in Springfield MO. Looks like a Shopsmith, but the handles are black.
Attachments
Menards.jpg
Menards.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid -
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

wvthomas wrote:Saw this on Craigslist in Springfield MO. Looks like a Shopsmith, but the handles are black.
This looks like a clone made by the same company (overseas) that made the Total Shop. There was a few different brands/makes made by this company before they went out of business. A quick check is to measure the way tubes. The clones had a 1.675" OD comparied to 1.75" for the Shopsmith. No clone internal headstock parts are interchangeable with any Shopsmith parts. Most of these clones had steel tables, double bearing quills, higher 1.5 HP motors that could operate on 110 VAC or 220 VAC. Some motors were reversible. I found all the clone SPTs will operate on the Shopsmith. The miter gauge slot width was what other table saws companies used, not the Shopsmith width. I still have a few of the steel tables, trunnion legs fit in the Shopsmith carriage, available with front table miter extension. I had one table miter gauge slots machined for the Shopsmith miter gauge that I sold. I believe I could have these steel main tables machined for the 510/520 miter bar with washer but noone has asked for this change. The 500 fence works on these steel main tables which are the same size as the Shopsmith table.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

billmayo wrote:This looks like a clone made by the same company (overseas) that made the Total Shop. There was a few different brands/makes made by this company before they went out of business. A quick check is to measure the way tubes. The clones had a 1.675" OD comparied to 1.75" for the Shopsmith. No clone internal headstock parts are interchangeable with any Shopsmith parts. Most of these clones had steel tables, double bearing quills, higher 1.5 HP motors that could operate on 110 VAC or 220 VAC. Some motors were reversible. I found all the clone SPTs will operate on the Shopsmith. The miter gauge slot width was what other table saws companies used, not the Shopsmith width. I still have a few of the steel tables, trunnion legs fit in the Shopsmith carriage, available with front table miter extension. I had one table miter gauge slots machined for the Shopsmith miter gauge that I sold. I believe I could have these steel main tables machined for the 510/520 miter bar with washer but noone has asked for this change. The 500 fence works on these steel main tables which are the same size as the Shopsmith table.
If someone wants to talk the guy down to $100 I'll go get it tonight and we can talk specifics.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/3974517948.html