Missing a Carriage Stop Ring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

If you haven't already ordered one, I'll be happy to send you one. I have several extra.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
forrestb
Platinum Member

remove splitter when making ZGIs

Post by forrestb »

When you make a Zero Clearance Insert, be sure to remove the splitter before lowering the table to cut the kerf. Otherwise you can't make a full length cut if you need that.

Now how do you think I learned that??

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

jayhawk wrote:If you haven't already ordered one, I'll be happy to send you one. I have several extra.
Hi Jayhawk, That's a really nice offer I have not ordered one yet because I thought I'd wait until I fully inventoried everything and then order the missing or damaged bits.

If you really want to do this I'd like to pay the postage at least. Shall I PM you with my address?
Woodhead
Just a chip off the ol' block!

1993 SS Mark V 510 with a 520 Upgrade, 520 Extension Fence (2) Extension Tables, (4) Floating Tables (4) connecting tubes (2) SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, SS Belt Sander, SS Power Station, SS DC3300
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

forrestb wrote:When you make a Zero Clearance Insert, be sure to remove the splitter before lowering the table to cut the kerf. Otherwise you can't make a full length cut if you need that.

Now how do you think I learned that??

Forrest
I wouldn't know for sure how you might have come by that information, but I'm guessing it probably the same way I learned most of things I know. Hahaha I'm also guessing by this post it's possible to buy a riving knife / splitter that is not part of an upper blade guard. Is that through Shopsmith? I'm assembling a parts list. ;)
Woodhead

1993 SS Mark V 510 with a 520 Upgrade, 520 Extension Fence (2) Extension Tables, (4) Floating Tables (4) connecting tubes (2) SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, SS Belt Sander, SS Power Station, SS DC3300
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="woodhead52"]I wouldn't know for sure how you might have come by that information, but I'm guessing it probably the same way I learned most of things I know. Hahaha I'm also guessing by this post it's possible to buy a riving knife / splitter that is not part of an upper blade guard. Is that through Shopsmith? I'm assembling a parts list. ]

YEP!

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... _knife.htm
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

JPG, Thanks for the link.
Woodhead

jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

Woodhead52, PM me your address and I'll send you a carriage stop ring.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jayhawk wrote:Woodhead52, PM me your address and I'll send you a carriage stop ring.
Atta boy!!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="woodhead52"]I wouldn't know for sure how you might have come by that information, but I'm guessing it probably the same way I learned most of things I know. Hahaha I'm also guessing by this post it's possible to buy a riving knife / splitter that is not part of an upper blade guard. Is that through Shopsmith? I'm assembling a parts list. ]

I use enough ZCI that I made a sled for cutting the saw kerf. With this sled, you can make that cut as long or as short as you please. It also locates the kerf right on the center line (if your alignments are all correct).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

jayhawk wrote:Woodhead52, PM me your address and I'll send you a carriage stop ring.
Oops! When I didn't hear back from you last last week I went ahead and ordered them on Friday. It's no big deal, I had several things which I needed, so, I just ordered them all together through Doug Reid, which saved me 10% and more than the cost of a couple of carriage stop rings.

Thanks again for your generosity. I'd have probably received yours sooner, it appears most of the items I ordered from SS are back ordered. Hahaha
Woodhead