Whatsit???

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Whatsit???

Post by JPG »

What be de thingie with a handle, cable(?) and fitting on the end thereof?
[ATTACH]23159[/ATTACH]

My thought is a jump rope with missing wooden handle.:D

Been on e-bay fer a week er so.
Attachments
whatsit.jpg
whatsit.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 845 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Ain't Google wonderful!

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Leather jump rope with wooden handle, courtesy of Google image search. :cool:

[ATTACH]23160[/ATTACH]

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/56213 ... andle.html
Attachments
leather_jump_rope_with_wooden_handle.jpg
leather_jump_rope_with_wooden_handle.jpg (47.09 KiB) Viewed 842 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Search term was?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It started out as an image search -- a fairly new Google feature. You give it an image file, and it searches the web for the same or similar images.

Go to Google, and click on the "Images" menu item at the upper left. This takes you to the "Google Images" page. Now the search box should have a small camera icon at the far right. Click on that, and it will prompt you for the location of an image to search for. You can use either a URL or a local file. For past searches, that's all I've ever needed to do.

This time, there were no jump ropes in sight on the first try, but it prompted me to add some text search terms. So I gave it "wooden handle rope" or some such. Bingo.

I've found this feature to be handy for finding the best deals on products such as furniture, when you don't know the manufacturer's model number. The different online retailers all tend to use the manufacturer's stock photos of the product. So just do an image search on the stock photo, and competing retailers pop up. The same technique can ID something in a photo on Craigslist.
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

I've tried the google image search a few times when it first came out and wasn't terribly successful, but I don't remember it asking for search terms. May have to give it another spin.

Now the real question is...what is it doing in an ad with wood turning tools? My theory is PPE.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:I've tried the google image search a few times when it first came out and wasn't terribly successful, but I don't remember it asking for search terms. May have to give it another spin.

Now the real question is...what is it doing in an ad with wood turning tools? My theory is PPE.
I do not know what PPE is:confused:, but I surmise the seller does not have a clue either!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Personal Protection Equipment?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

beeg wrote:Personal Protection Equipment?
Yes! Keeps the unwanted pests and intruders away while you are turning.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

frank81 wrote:Yes! Keeps the unwanted pests and intruders away while you are turning.
I thought maybe you were thinking nunchucks.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Could it be that the person selling the chisels wanted to show what could be made turning wood or that they tried and failed at turning a new handle or (and this is my personal thought) they just had extra stuff in a box and all three had wooden handles so SELL THEM ONE PRICE! :rolleyes: Yep, one too many auctions as of late!