Who knows the proper name for these?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Who knows the proper name for these?

Post by reible »

Or where to get them. My previous source is gone and I'd like to get some more.

Here is a picture of them

[ATTACH]24142[/ATTACH]

These would be classified as furniture connectors. They appear to be made out of nylon, two parts, one a ball type end with tang to mounts in a hole, the other part is a hole the ball would fit into, it mounts in a hole as well.

When the two parts snap together they hold things together. If you have the Router Workshop router table then you will have seen these in action as that is how that table is put together.

The ones I have are 10 mm and that is the only size I have seen but it is possible other sizes exist.

I have a project I'm thinking of using these for but I'm short about 10 of them. Not having a name I've not gotten far in my searches.

Anyone?

Ed
Attachments
IMG_1022sc.jpg
IMG_1022sc.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks this is a start.

After wading in to the site I'm total confused as to how they work. It would appear that the minimum quantity is 100 with no clear way of knowing how much they cost. Maybe it will be more clear if I look at it another day. Keep in mind I'm taking about 10 pieces as my need.

So far as oak-park they have not had them listed for sometime now. They are slowly closing up shop and trying to sell off what they have. I might try and contact them to see if they have even a few of these left over somewhere.

Ed

rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Yeah they are very obscure european furniture connectors. I've read on the router forums that most give up and figure out other ways to connect such as dowels or pocket screws.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have 3 grandchildren who live about 800 miles away. None of us has the money to do much traveling, and driving 800 miles is getting a little much for me unless I make it a several days there and stay for at least a week and then the several days back. That long a trip eats up money too. So the result is I have to make things that can be shipped and for larger projects they need to be taken apart for shipping and then pop back together at the other end.

I have two projects that I'd like to do using these connectors because of the easy break down and re-assembly.

From your lead I have found another potential place to purchase these, only they don't take Discover Card or PayPal my method of payments. Have to see what I can work out on that front.

Again thank you for your help.

Ed

rcplaneguy wrote:Yeah they are very obscure european furniture connectors. I've read on the router forums that most give up and figure out other ways to connect such as dowels or pocket screws.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Let me know where you found them to buy, they look very handy!
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

Not trying to be mean but ashley145's post seems or appears to be a spammer. What do these have to do with a Shopsmith or anything wood related? Just saying.
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

Hey Ed here is something similar I found on Amazon would these maybe work for you or not. Just trying to help out if I can.

http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Connect ... t+fittings

They look similar but might not be what you are looking for.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:Who knows the proper name for these? Or where to get them. My previous source is gone and I'd like to get some more.
Ed

I found these Nylon Dowel Plug Connector listed at Stockroom Supply (and they are on sale:cool:)

[ATTACH]24143[/ATTACH]

They look the same to me.
Attachments
file_85_5.jpg
file_85_5.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I just used som of those on some "furniture" from IKEA. They work fairly well. Good for installing their "crown molding" on the Topeka of shelf units.